Motor bike engines acting as a gyroscope keeping the bike upright

In summary, the idea that a motorcycle engine must be revved at low speeds to generate enough gyroscopic action to keep the rider and bike upright is a misconception. While the gyroscopic effect of the spinning engine and wheels can help with balance at very low speeds, it is not necessary for normal riding.
Yoma
Dear All
This is a rather strange question for you one that i can find no conclusive argument to.
when riding a large motorbike i am informed that the engine must be reved at low speeds in order to keep the engine spinning at a sufficient speed to enable it to generate a strong enough gyroscope to keep the rider and the bike upright.
can anyone find any merit in this or is it just all bollocks?
I am interested to know as a friend of mine owns a large Harley Davidson and i want to know if he is simply keeping the bike up or just being bad by reving his engine in car parks.
Many thanks
Yoma

edit:
i also found this:http://www.misconceptionjunction.com/index.php/2010/08/gyroscopic-effects-have-almost-nothing-to-do-with-keeping-you-balanced-on-a-bike/
suggesting that the wheels of a bike do not actually provide a effective gyroscope.
i am interested in the engine though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Yoma said:
Dear All
This is a rather strange question for you one that i can find no conclusive argument to.
when riding a large motorbike i am informed that the engine must be reved at low speeds in order to keep the engine spinning at a sufficient speed to enable it to generate a strong enough gyroscope to keep the rider and the bike upright.
can anyone find any merit in this or is it just all bollocks?
I am interested to know as a friend of mine owns a large Harley Davidson and i want to know if he is simply keeping the bike up or just being bad by reving his engine in car parks.
Many thanks
Yoma

edit:
i also found this:http://www.misconceptionjunction.com/index.php/2010/08/gyroscopic-effects-have-almost-nothing-to-do-with-keeping-you-balanced-on-a-bike/
suggesting that the wheels of a bike do not actually provide a effective gyroscope.
i am interested in the engine though.

Welcome to the PF.

No, you balance a motorcyle pretty much like you ride a bicycle. A bicycle has no engine to rev, right?

Having said that, the gyroscopic action of the spinning engine (and wheels to some degree) does resist tilting the motorcycle. You can use this effect to help you stay balanced when moving very slowly on a motorcycle, like when you are maneuvering tight turns in a parking lot or doing tight U-turns. You hold the engine at a low/medium RPM, slip the clutch, and drag the rear brake. The extra stability is very noticable. But you don't need to do that in normal riding.

1. How does a motor bike engine act as a gyroscope to keep the bike upright?

The engine of a motor bike is designed to rotate in a specific direction. As the bike moves forward, the engine rotates in the opposite direction, creating a gyroscopic effect. This effect helps to stabilize the bike and keep it upright.

2. Does the size of the motor bike engine affect its ability to act as a gyroscope?

Yes, the size and weight of the engine can affect its gyroscopic effect. A larger and heavier engine will have a stronger gyroscopic effect compared to a smaller and lighter engine.

3. Can a motor bike still balance without the engine acting as a gyroscope?

Yes, a motor bike can still balance without the engine acting as a gyroscope. The gyroscopic effect is just one factor that helps to keep the bike upright. Other factors, such as the rider's balance and the design of the bike, also play a role in maintaining balance.

4. Are there any other factors that contribute to a motor bike's stability besides the engine acting as a gyroscope?

Yes, there are other factors that contribute to a motor bike's stability. These include the weight distribution of the bike, the rider's posture and movements, and the speed and direction of the bike's movement.

5. How does the gyroscopic effect of a motor bike engine change when the bike turns or tilts?

When a motor bike turns or tilts, the gyroscopic effect of the engine also changes. This is because the direction of the engine's rotation is affected by the movement of the bike. However, the gyroscopic effect still helps to stabilize the bike and keep it upright, even in turns and tilts.