Temperature measurement in a room

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to measure the temperature in a room without a traditional thermometer. The original question is whether it is possible to construct a sensitive enough thermometer, or if there is another indicator of temperature. One suggestion is to count the intervals with which the fridge turns on, but this relies on the assumption that the fridge has an inbuilt thermometer. Another approach mentioned is to use a liquid with known expansion properties or a hard material. The participant also asks for a good "physical reasoning" and mentions their intuition that the temperature is around 10-12 degrees. The conversation ends with a suggestion to look into the Galileo thermometer as a possible solution.
mindauggas
I came up with something to think about while freezing in my room...

How can one measure the temperature in a room withought traditional termometer.

Alternative formulation of the question - is it posible to construct a termometer that would measure such temperatures as are measured in a room: that would be sensative enought?

Or maybe there is some indicator of temperature? (the temperature is higher than 0 degrees C, so freezing water is not an option).

I came up with only one way - open the fridge and count the interval lenghts with which it will turn on. Anyway there is an assumption here that the frige is working with an inbuild termometer, and not just turning on/off in a predetermined time...

Can some one come up with some easier way? I can't measure the initial temperature as I say, because there are no reference temperature indacators in the room (I could open the windows and wait till the water freezes (so it will be 0) and then wait till the the temperature reaches the temperature outside (which I can look up on the net) and then use the freezer not the fridge to measure the temperature ... but I will freeze myself then ...

I'm interested is it posible to construct such a device with some kind of liquid whose properties of expansion are known (i don't have spirit, onlu water) or maybe with some kind of hard materials...

Waiting for a good "physical reasoning" ...

P. S. my sences and intuition tell me that it is about 10 - 12 degrees here...

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with this?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_thermometer"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of measuring temperature in a room?

The purpose of measuring temperature in a room is to monitor and control the temperature for comfort, energy efficiency, and equipment performance. It can also help identify potential issues, such as air leaks or malfunctioning HVAC systems.

What unit of measurement is used for temperature in a room?

The most commonly used unit of measurement for temperature in a room is degrees Fahrenheit (°F) in the United States. However, other units such as Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K) may also be used depending on the location and application.

What is the most accurate way to measure the temperature in a room?

The most accurate way to measure temperature in a room is by using a digital thermometer or a thermocouple thermometer. These devices have a high level of precision and can provide real-time readings.

What factors can affect the temperature in a room?

Several factors can affect the temperature in a room, including outdoor temperature, insulation, ventilation, and the use of heating or cooling systems. The number of occupants and the presence of electronic devices can also impact the temperature in a room.

Can the temperature in a room be measured in different locations?

Yes, the temperature in a room can vary in different locations, especially near windows, doors, or heating/cooling vents. It is recommended to take temperature measurements in multiple locations to get a more accurate understanding of the overall temperature in the room.