Two points are on a disk that rotates about an axis perpendicular to the plane

In summary, the rotation of a disk causes two points to move in circles around the axis of rotation, with their relative position changing as the disk rotates. The speed of rotation directly affects the speed at which the points move, and the size or diameter of the disk does not have a direct impact on their movement as long as the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the disk. There is a mathematical equation that can be used to calculate the position of the points on the rotating disk, which involves the radius of the disk, the angle of rotation, and the distance between the two points.
kirby27
Two unequal masses m and 2m are attached to a thin bar of negligible mass that rotates about an axis perpendicular to the bar. When m is a distance 2d from the axis and 2m is a distance d from the axis, the moment of inertia of this combination is I. If the masses are now interchanged, the moment of inertia will be?

This is the work I tried:

The mases are m and 2m
The distance of the mass m from the axis is 2d
The distance of the mass 2m from the axis is d

The moment of inertia of the masse before exchanged is

I = m(2d)^2 + 2m(d)^2

I = 6md^2

The moment of inertia of the masse After exchanged is

The distance of the mass m from the axis is d
The distance of the mass 2m from the axis is 2d

I = m(d)^2 + 2m(2d)^2

I = 8md^2

I thought that after the masses were interchanged, the I would be 2I, the difference between before and after. The answer was wrong. I think the answer might be (2/3)I but I'm not sure. help is much appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's an error in your last calculation... I'=m(d)^2+2m(2d)^2=m(d)^2+8m(d)^2=9m(d)^2
Meaning that the ratio between I' (after the masse were interchanged) and I is 9/6=3/2.
But I'm not sure I've understood your problem...

1. How does the rotation of the disk affect the position of the two points?

The rotation of the disk causes the two points to move in circles around the axis of rotation. The distance between the two points will remain constant, but their position relative to each other will change as the disk rotates.

2. What is the relationship between the speed of rotation and the movement of the points?

The speed of rotation directly affects the speed at which the two points move around the axis. The faster the disk rotates, the faster the points will move in their circular path.

3. Can the two points be on opposite sides of the disk and still rotate around the axis?

Yes, as long as the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the plane of the disk, the two points can be on any opposite sides and still rotate around the axis.

4. How does the size or diameter of the disk impact the movement of the points?

The size or diameter of the disk does not have a direct impact on the movement of the points. As long as the disk is rotating around a perpendicular axis, the movement of the points will be the same regardless of the size of the disk.

5. Is there a specific mathematical equation to calculate the position of the points on the rotating disk?

Yes, there is a mathematical equation that can be used to calculate the position of the points on the rotating disk. It involves the radius of the disk, the angle of rotation, and the distance between the two points. This equation is often used in physics and engineering applications.