Find each current with using Mesh Current Method

In summary, the conversation is about using the Mesh Current Method to find the currents (I1, I2, I3, I4) in an electric circuit. The directions for the 4 currents are marked in blue and the equations are written in red. The issue is that the equations for I3 and I4 may not be correct, as the constant current supply in the shared branch should be treated as an unknown potential drop. This introduces a new equation and the speaker will try this approach.
omni
given Electric circuit, i asked to find each current (I1 I2 I3 I4) by using Mesh Current Method.

so how you can see in the picture i marked the directions for the 4 currents in blue color.

and i wrote the equations in red color.
what i am not sure is if the equations for I3 and I4 is correct.
so i need help here.

thanks.

Attachments

• POPO.JPG
    POPO.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
The constant current supply in the branch shared by meshes 3 and 4 needs to be handled appropriately. In your equations you've treated it as a zero Ohm resistor, which is not correct.

What you can do is assign it an unknown potential drop (maybe call it Vx), and since it fixes the current in its branch it introduces a new equation that specifies the relationship between the mesh currents I3 and I4, namely: I4 - I3 = 2A.

ok i will try it.

thanks.

1. What is the Mesh Current Method and when is it used?

The Mesh Current Method is a technique used to solve circuits containing multiple voltage sources and resistors. It is typically used in circuits with several loops or meshes, as it simplifies the calculations by breaking the circuit into smaller parts.

2. How do you apply the Mesh Current Method?

To apply the Mesh Current Method, you must first label each mesh in the circuit with a unique current variable. Then, using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), set up equations for each mesh based on the voltage drops across the resistors and voltage sources. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown mesh currents.

3. What are the advantages of using the Mesh Current Method?

The Mesh Current Method is advantageous because it simplifies complex circuits into smaller parts, making it easier to solve. It also eliminates the need for simultaneous equations and reduces the number of unknown variables, making it a more efficient method of solving circuits.

4. Are there any limitations to the Mesh Current Method?

The Mesh Current Method can only be applied to circuits with multiple loops or meshes. It also assumes that all components are linear, meaning their resistance or impedance does not change with current or voltage. Additionally, it may not be the best method to use for circuits with dependent sources.

5. Can the Mesh Current Method be used in conjunction with other circuit analysis methods?

Yes, the Mesh Current Method can be used in combination with other circuit analysis methods, such as the Node Voltage Method. In fact, it is often used in conjunction with other methods to solve more complex circuits that cannot be easily solved using a single method.