Calculating Energy Needed to Fill Basins with Water

In summary, the question is asking how much energy would be required for a motor or machine to fill one basin with water from another, with the dimensions of the basins and the density of water provided. The answer is that it would take the same energy as lifting 96 tonnes of water vertically by a height of 8m, with a formula of h2LBgρ.
Yoann
I'm currently working on a project, but I'm no engineer or physicist, so I'm limited in my calculations. It would be great if you guys could help me out!

I joined an image to this post to help understand. There are two basins, height = 16 meters, length = 4 meters and width = 3 meters. They are next to each other, and both half-full with water. If there is a kind of motor or machine connecting both basins and located in the bottom that can transfer the water from one basin to the other, how much energy/electricity would the motor/machine use in order to fill one of the basins to the top with the water from the other basin? (so basically fill the top half)

If there's any kind of formula that could help me calculate this, that would help me big time.

Thanks!

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3350/photo6dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It would take the same energy as required to lift 96 tonnes of water (8x4x3) vertically by a height of 8m.

The minimum energy you need (that is assuming no frictional losses in pipes etc) is h2LBgρ in which

h is the height of water in each half (not the combined height) [enter in m]
L is the length of tank [enter in m]
B is the breadth of tank [enter in m]
g = 9.8 N kg-1
ρ = density of water = 1000 kg m-3

The answer will come out in joule (J)

Thanks, appreciate your help! That helps a lot!

Hello,

Calculating the energy needed to fill basins with water requires some basic understanding of physics and engineering principles. The amount of energy needed will depend on several factors, including the volume of water to be transferred, the height difference between the two basins, and the efficiency of the motor or machine being used.

To start, we can use the formula for potential energy (PE) to calculate the amount of energy needed to lift the water from one basin to the other. PE is equal to the mass of an object (in this case, the water) multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height it is being lifted (h). So, the formula would be PE = mgh.

In this scenario, the height (h) is 8 meters (half of the basin's height). The mass (m) of the water can be calculated by multiplying its density (usually around 1000 kg/m^3 for water) by its volume. To find the volume, we can use the formula for a rectangular prism, which is length x width x height. In this case, the volume would be (4m x 3m x 8m) = 96 m^3.

So, the mass of the water would be (1000 kg/m^3 x 96 m^3) = 96,000 kg. Plugging this into the formula, we get PE = (96,000 kg) x (9.8 m/s^2) x (8m) = 7,468,800 J (joules). This is the amount of energy needed to lift the water from one basin to the other.

However, this calculation does not take into account the efficiency of the motor or machine being used to transfer the water. In reality, there will be some energy lost due to friction and other factors. So, the actual amount of energy needed will be slightly higher than the calculated value.

I hope this helps guide your calculations and project. As a scientist, it's always important to consider all factors and be aware of any limitations in your calculations. Good luck with your project!

1. How do you calculate the amount of energy needed to fill a basin with water?

The amount of energy needed to fill a basin with water can be calculated using the formula E = mgh, where E is the energy, m is the mass of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water in the basin.

2. What are the units used to measure energy in this calculation?

The units used to measure energy in this calculation are Joules (J). However, other units such as kilojoules (kJ) or calories (cal) can also be used.

3. How does the shape and size of the basin affect the energy needed to fill it with water?

The shape and size of the basin do not affect the amount of energy needed to fill it with water. The main factor that affects the energy needed is the height of the water in the basin.

4. Is the calculation affected by the temperature of the water?

No, the calculation is not affected by the temperature of the water. The formula E = mgh assumes that the water is at room temperature and does not take into account any changes in density due to temperature.

5. Can this calculation be used for any type of basin or container?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of basin or container as long as the height of the water can be measured. However, the formula may need to be adjusted for irregularly shaped basins or containers.