Good introductory E&M textbooks?

In summary, the conversation discusses various textbooks for an E&M class and the preference for older editions due to their simplicity and lack of distracting graphics. The textbooks recommended are Principles of Electrodynamics by Schwartz, Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell, and Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism by Arthur Kip. The use of calculus in the course is also mentioned, with some recommending a background in vector calculus for proper understanding. The conversation also touches on the issue of newer textbooks being watered down and difficult to understand, leading to a suggestion to check out older editions.
-Dragoon-
The book I currently use for my class is not great with very few examples, watered-down theory, and is bloated. I've searched the forums and found that Halliday and Serway are well received, but I still don't know. Even though my course is supposed to be calculus-based and all the concepts are presented through calculus, the problem sets only require algebra and they test only on algebra. Based on this circumstance, are Halliday and Serway still good books to supplement my studies in E&M? Any other books you would recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that the book by Schwartz is intended for a first course in EM...
Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell and Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism by Arthur Kip
are the ones I recommend...

David Griffith is highly recommended. It is highly intuitive and extensively used as one of the standard intro level EM texts. I personally never had an intro level EM class, only self-studied Griffith. Now all I do is solving Maxwell's equations

Feynman Vol II

I don't think he's taking an intro E&M class. He's talking about Halliday and Serway so I think he's in his second semester of an intro physics class. My personal observation is that textbooks have become horribly watered down and much more difficult to understand with all of the distracting colors and graphics. I still have the 1st edition of Tipler (1976) and the 3rd edition of Halliday and Resnick (1967) on my shelf. They are definitely more rigorous and much easier to read. Go to a good used bookstore and flip through some old books. If you are in an E&M class get Kip's book. I bought the 1969 edition for a dollar or two in the used bookstore and it's some of the clearest reading I've ever seen.

You can pick up an old edition of Halliday & Resnick, "Fundamentals of Physics" cheap. The other books mentioned -- Schwartz, Griffith, and Feynman -- are probably too advanced if you haven't had calc III, though it wouldn't hurt to check them out of the library. You should read at least the first few chapters of Feynman vol. II.

I've tried reading Griffith, and my lack of a background in vector calculus made it a worthless endeavour.

I am currently using Halliday and Resnick fundamentals 9th edition and even though I find it much easier to read through than my current textbook (mostly due to the fact that chapters are much more condensed). But it still has all of these pictures that make it very difficult to follow. Are the older editions really better?

I like rigour, but I don't want to read something as rigorous as Maxwell's treatise on E&M. This is my first rigorous introduction introduction to E&M.

I think to learn 'proper' calculus-based E&M you need vector calculus.

I like older editions better cause like you, I find large colorful (usually irrelevant) pictures distracting. Not too sure about the rigor in first-year physics textbooks, but the older ones usually get straight to the point and don't ramble, though sometimes I find the extra discussion in the relatively newer ones (not the latest) helpful.

That's my theory Dragoon. I'd rather gouge my eyes out than teach another calculus course using the latest edition of Thomas or Stewart, explaining to my students that I'm really sorry but the department makes me use this book, but I still have my dad's old 1st edition of Thomas and it's highly readable. I think the publishers think that you need to be entertained because the subject matter is too difficult for you. I think students have a hard time because the publishers have made it difficult. Look at higher level texts. They get to the point without the distractions because the people who read them wouldn't put up with the junk. I have no idea why someone learning something for the first time would put up with it. The best part is that you can get these old editions for virtually nothing on Amazon.

1. What are the key concepts covered in an introductory E&M textbook?

An introductory E&M textbook typically covers topics such as electric and magnetic fields, electric potential, capacitance, current and resistance, electromotive force, and electromagnetic induction.

2. Are there any recommended E&M textbooks for beginners?

Some popular introductory E&M textbooks include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell, and "Fundamentals of Physics: Electromagnetism" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker.

3. Is prior knowledge of calculus necessary for understanding E&M textbooks?

Yes, most introductory E&M textbooks assume a basic understanding of calculus. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus before delving into electromagnetism.

4. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials available for E&M textbooks?

Many E&M textbooks have companion websites that offer additional resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and lecture notes. Some textbooks also come with a solutions manual or study guide.

5. Can E&M textbooks be used for self-study or are they best suited for classroom use?

E&M textbooks can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have access to a teacher or tutor for guidance and clarification. It is also helpful to work through practice problems and check solutions to ensure understanding of the material.