Switch to chemical engineering or stick with biochem?

In summary: If you want to work on designing drugs, then a biochemistry/molecular biology degree is essential. If you want to work on the manufacturing side of drugs, then a chemical engineering degree may suffice.
lovethesun
Hi everyone, my first post on here.

I was hoping someone might have a few words of advice/suggestions. I'm a current sophomore currently pursuing biochemistry/molecular biology. My goal is to work in drug development of some sort, at a biotech company or so. Basically, I like to design and "build" things - not machines, but chemicals, substances, cells etc.

I've recently been looking into the world of work a bit more, and it seems chemical engineering fits this profile fairly well. I've also heard that the current situation for biology majors is dire, most end up working as lab assistants in jobs that need no degree, the pay is low, and academia (which isn't a career I want anyway) is hopelessly overrun. Most of the people in my major are pre-med or planning on an academic career. Not to mention that ChemE at my school commands much higher starting salaries and the major seems to be applicable to a lot more fields than biochemistry.

So, my questions: Do I have the wrong idea of what chemical engineering really is? I love science, but is there really all that much chemistry in chemical engineering? As a general idea, I could also see myself working on biofuels and such, but I do want a career that involves science in some form. I've looked at double-majoring, but given that I'm already a sophomore and that ChemE is very difficult on its own, it doesn't seem possible. I'm not especially talented in math (and haven't been getting high grades) but I could manage to get through it, as well as some computer programming courses and physics that I'm missing - I'm just wondering, should I?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for answering!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi Lovethesun,

I got onto this thread and read your post and realized I'm in a very similar situation you were in two years ago. If you're still around, would you mind telling me what you decided to do? Or do you have any new insight into what would be the best major/program for drug development?

I know it's unlikely that you'll reply, but hey, it's worth a shot.

Thanks

lovethesun said:
Hi everyone, my first post on here.

I was hoping someone might have a few words of advice/suggestions. I'm a current sophomore currently pursuing biochemistry/molecular biology. My goal is to work in drug development of some sort, at a biotech company or so. Basically, I like to design and "build" things - not machines, but chemicals, substances, cells etc.

I've recently been looking into the world of work a bit more, and it seems chemical engineering fits this profile fairly well. I've also heard that the current situation for biology majors is dire, most end up working as lab assistants in jobs that need no degree, the pay is low, and academia (which isn't a career I want anyway) is hopelessly overrun. Most of the people in my major are pre-med or planning on an academic career. Not to mention that ChemE at my school commands much higher starting salaries and the major seems to be applicable to a lot more fields than biochemistry.

So, my questions: Do I have the wrong idea of what chemical engineering really is? I love science, but is there really all that much chemistry in chemical engineering? As a general idea, I could also see myself working on biofuels and such, but I do want a career that involves science in some form. I've looked at double-majoring, but given that I'm already a sophomore and that ChemE is very difficult on its own, it doesn't seem possible. I'm not especially talented in math (and haven't been getting high grades) but I could manage to get through it, as well as some computer programming courses and physics that I'm missing - I'm just wondering, should I?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for answering!

You get to build things as a chemist and pharmacist. How about pharmaceutical chemistry? I am a biochemistry major as well but I'm wanting to go into biology research. Not a pharmacy person

biochemprospie said:
hi Lovethesun,

I got onto this thread and read your post and realized I'm in a very similar situation you were in two years ago. If you're still around, would you mind telling me what you decided to do? Or do you have any new insight into what would be the best major/program for drug development?

I know it's unlikely that you'll reply, but hey, it's worth a shot.

Thanks

Drug development or drug production? Chemists typically invent the drug, ChemE's/BioChemE's will typically mass produce the drug (or work on ways it can be mass produced).

I would advise you to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision to switch to chemical engineering or stick with biochemistry. Both fields have their own unique challenges and opportunities, and it's important to choose the path that aligns with your passions and strengths.

If you enjoy designing and building things, chemical engineering may be a good fit for you. However, keep in mind that it is a highly mathematical and technical field, so you should be prepared for a rigorous and demanding curriculum. It's also important to research the job market and potential career paths in chemical engineering to ensure it is a viable option for you.

On the other hand, if you are passionate about biochemistry and drug development, then sticking with your current major may be the best choice for you. While the job market may be competitive, there are still many opportunities in the biotech industry and other related fields. It's also worth considering pursuing a minor or taking elective courses in chemical engineering to gain some knowledge and skills in that area without completely switching majors.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and it's important to weigh all factors before making a choice. Seek advice from your professors, career counselors, and professionals in both fields to gain a better understanding of what each path entails. And remember, it's never too late to change your mind and pursue a different career path if you find that your interests and goals have shifted. Good luck in your decision-making process!

1. Should I switch to chemical engineering or stick with biochemistry?

This is a common question for students who are interested in both fields of study. The answer ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. Chemical engineering focuses more on the design and production of chemicals, materials, and processes, while biochemistry is more focused on the study of chemical processes within living organisms. Consider which subject you are more passionate about and which career path aligns with your goals.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both chemical engineering and biochemistry have promising job prospects. Chemical engineering, however, is a broader field with more diverse job opportunities in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, and materials science. Biochemistry, on the other hand, may have more specialized job opportunities in areas like research and development, biotechnology, and healthcare.

3. Is one field more challenging than the other?

Both chemical engineering and biochemistry are challenging fields of study. Chemical engineering involves a lot of complex math and physical sciences, while biochemistry requires a strong understanding of biology and organic chemistry. It is important to choose a field that you are passionate about and willing to put in the effort to succeed in.

4. Can I switch between the two fields if I change my mind?

While it is possible to switch between these two fields, it may require additional coursework and time. Chemical engineering and biochemistry have different core courses and may have different requirements for graduation. It is important to carefully consider your decision before making the switch.

5. Which field has better earning potential?

Both chemical engineering and biochemistry have potential for high salaries. Chemical engineers, on average, tend to earn slightly higher salaries than biochemists. However, this can vary depending on job location, industry, and level of experience. It is important to choose a field that you are passionate about, as this can lead to greater job satisfaction and ultimately, better long-term earnings.