How Bone is Formed in Humans - Douglas' Questions

• Thread starter atrec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hello
In summary, bone formation (or osteogenesis) occurs in two main processes: Intramembranous Ossification and Endochondral Ossification. The former involves the transformation of mesenchymal connective tissue into bone, while the latter involves the replacement of hyaline cartilage with bony tissue. This process occurs in the development of flat and irregular bones. There are several zones involved in the transformation of cartilage into bone, including a zone of reserve cartilage, proliferation, hypertrophy, cell death, and provisional calcification.
atrec
I am a colege student, we are going to have a test after holidays, i am worried because I still don't know a lot of things. Could you tell me how bone is created in human ?
I know there are tow stages bone is formed: membrane, and endochondrea.
I am still stuck at how to say these two stages in a more particualar way. I haven't found any source s so far on teh internet.
Thank you.

-Douglas

Biology news on Phys.org
bone formation

A quick search on Google for "bone formation" would have given you most of what you are looking for. The gist of it is that bone formation (or osteogenesis) occurs in two main processes:

Intramembranous Ossification involves the transformation of mesenchymal connective tissue into bone; no cartilage model is required. This process occurs in the development of flat bones and other irregular bones. Basically, osteoblasts migrate to the connective tissue and surround themselves with bone matrix that they secrete.

Endochondral Ossification which is the main process of bone formation, involves the sequential replacement of hyaline cartilage with bony tissue. Most people refer the hyaline cartilage in this process as a "cartilage model" for bone formation. The perichondrium of the hyaline cartilage becomes infiltrated with blood vessels and osteoblasts which transform the perichondrium into a periosteum. A compact bone collar is formed by osteoblasts surrounding the cartilage, and the cartilage in the center also becomes transformed into spongy bone, where the cells die and the extracellular matrix becomes calcified. There are a few zones that are created when the cartilage becomes spongy bone: zone of reserve cartilage, zone of proliferation (where the chondrocytes undergo rapid cell division), zone of hypertrophy (where the cells swell up), zone of cell death, and the zone of provisional calcification (where the matrix becomes calcified).

Thanks Kalladin a lot for your reply..

1. How does the human body produce bone?

The process of bone formation is known as ossification. It begins in the embryo as a cartilaginous model and eventually develops into bone tissue. Ossification continues throughout childhood and into adulthood, helping to maintain bone mass and repair damaged bones.

2. What are the main components involved in bone formation?

Bone formation is a complex process that involves a variety of cells and molecules. The main components include osteoblasts, which are responsible for producing new bone tissue, and osteoclasts, which break down and remodel existing bone tissue. Additionally, bone formation requires various hormones, minerals, and growth factors.

3. How do bones grow and develop in humans?

Bones grow and develop through a process called modeling. This occurs when osteoblasts deposit new bone tissue on the surface of existing bones, while osteoclasts break down and remove old bone tissue. This process is regulated by hormones and other signaling molecules. During childhood and adolescence, bone growth is rapid, but it slows down in adulthood as bones reach their full size.

4. What factors affect bone formation in humans?

There are several factors that can influence bone formation in humans. These include genetics, nutrition, physical activity, and hormonal balance. For example, certain genetic conditions can affect bone density and increase the risk of bone diseases, while a diet lacking in calcium and vitamin D can lead to weaker bones. Regular weight-bearing exercise is also important for maintaining healthy bones.

5. How does bone formation change with age?

As we age, the rate of bone formation decreases and the balance between bone formation and breakdown becomes disrupted. This can lead to a gradual loss of bone mass and an increased risk of osteoporosis and fractures. However, with a healthy lifestyle and proper nutrition, it is possible to slow down this process and maintain strong bones throughout life.