Is a Flying Skateboard Possible with Current Technology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a flying skateboard with a turbojet engine. Concerns about safety, stability, and aerodynamics are raised, as well as the size and appearance of such a device. The idea of using a jetpack or torso/back-mounted wings is suggested as a more practical option. The conversation also advises against reviving old threads.
GreyBubbleGum
I was just wondering if a flying skateboard would be possible to make in this time and day. I don't mean a hover board which uses anti-gravity mechanic, but a flying skateboard which uses a turbojet engine.

I really want to make one, but I am not sure if it is even possible in the first place. Can I have some feedback on this. I know it sound ridiculous though.

Engineering news on Phys.org
how would you use it?

If on the ground, you'd have to worry about safety, stability, aerodynamics...

For safety what if you fell off would it keep going? not good if it did.

For stability, how would you stay attached? how would you stay upright?

For aerodynamics, you'd need some sort of wings, including a tail wing.

Then there the size of all this which means it won't look anything like the Back To The Future one.

Have you seen the guy who uses a jetpack to jump off of mountains and glide to the valley?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Rossy

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding on to what jedishrfu said, drag would also be a huge issue if you were "riding" it similarly to how one rides a skateboard. I think the best bet for a sort of human aircraft is the torso/back-mounted wings as it's the most centralized/stable/controllable way to mount equipment on a person, as well as minimize drag.

The lift?

okay about the safety, stability and stuff but how can one create the necessay lift while using it on the ground?

Try to stick with more practical things, like a flying carpet.

SteamKing said:
Try to stick with more practical things, like a flying carpet.

And replying to threads that haven't been dead for more than a year.
:tongue: (:devil:)

1. Is a flying skateboard possible?

Yes, it is possible for a skateboard to fly. However, it would require advanced technology and engineering to make it a reality.

2. How would a flying skateboard work?

A flying skateboard would most likely use some form of propulsion, such as jet engines or electric motors, to lift and propel the skateboard off the ground. It may also have stabilizing mechanisms to control its flight.

3. Would a flying skateboard be safe?

As with any form of transportation, safety would be a top priority in the design and testing of a flying skateboard. It would need to meet strict safety standards and regulations to ensure the well-being of its users.

4. How fast could a flying skateboard go?

The speed of a flying skateboard would depend on its design and capabilities. It could potentially reach high speeds, but this would also need to be carefully regulated for safety reasons.

5. Would a flying skateboard be environmentally friendly?

It is possible for a flying skateboard to be environmentally friendly if it uses sustainable energy sources, such as electric power, and has minimal carbon emissions. However, this would also depend on the materials and production processes used in its creation.