What are the best textbooks for learning random matrix theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for textbooks on random matrix theory. Some suggestions given include "An Introduction to Modern Number Theory" by Miller for an easy introduction with applications in Number Theory, "Random Matrices" by Mehta for more advanced readers, and "Introduction to Random matrix theory" by Zeitouni et al. The conversation also mentions the need to refresh some probability before starting to read the recommended texts.
captain
Hi all I was wondering if anybody knew any good books (preferably textbooks) on random matrix theory?

thanks in advance.Edit: My apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tough subject.

If you want an easy (undergrad) introduction to the subject with applications in Number Theory, then there's the book:"An Introduction to Modern Number Theory" by Miller.

More advanced textbooks are 1. Random Matrices (by Mehta), I heard that few can read this monograph (I have it at my shelf, but still didn't find time to read it :-().
2. The textbooks by Percy Deift.
3. Introduction to Random matrix theory by Zeitouni et al.

I think I'll start reading the last book, though I need to refresh some probability...

Likes Sachin kumar

1. What is random matrix theory?

Random matrix theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and behavior of matrices with randomly generated elements. It has applications in various fields, including physics, statistics, and computer science.

2. What is the significance of random matrix theory?

Random matrix theory has been used to explain phenomena in complex systems, such as the behavior of energy levels in quantum mechanics and the distribution of prime numbers. It also has practical applications in signal processing, data analysis, and wireless communication.

3. How is random matrix theory related to statistics?

Random matrix theory is closely related to statistics, as it deals with the properties of random matrices and their behavior in different scenarios. It has been used to study the behavior of sample covariance matrices and to develop efficient methods for analyzing large datasets.

4. Are there any books on random matrix theory for beginners?

Yes, there are several books on random matrix theory that are suitable for beginners. Some popular titles include "Random Matrix Theory: Invariant Ensembles and Universality" by Percy Deift, "An Introduction to Random Matrices" by Greg W. Anderson, Alice Guionnet, and Ofer Zeitouni, and "Random Matrices: Theory and Applications" by Madan Lal Mehta.

5. What background knowledge is required to understand a random matrix theory book?

A basic understanding of linear algebra, probability theory, and statistics is recommended to fully grasp the concepts presented in a random matrix theory book. Familiarity with complex analysis and differential equations may also be helpful in some cases.