Statics: System in equilibrium - determine height (h)

In summary: I will try to use your method in the future.In summary, tiny-tim found an equation for the system of equations given, but was unable to solve it with the given values.
gate13

Homework Statement

Good day to all,
I have been given a problem in statics, ore specifically a system that is in equilibrium, but a system I am having some trouble with. I have attached (in pdf) the problem's context and the free body diagram I have drawn.

The data we are give are as follows:
r = 0.575 m, a=1.05 m, W=4.905 N, Wc = 4.905 N

Homework Equations

We are asked to find h.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have so far is as follows:

Using the fact the the hoop is in equilibrium, I obtained the two equations:

Td cos(θ) - Tccos(α) = 0 (along x-axis: [itex]\rightarrow[/itex])
Td sin(θ) + Tcsin(α) - W= 0 (along y-axis: [itex]\uparrow[/itex])

We know W and Tc and so we have two equations with three unknowns so far. Then I thought of using the problem's geometry to obtain a third equation.

Ans so using the sine law, I obtained:
[itex]\frac{sin180-α-θ}{a}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{sin(α)}{r}[/itex]

But when I try solving the system with the values, I get:
α=90, θ=88.17 and Td = -1* 10-81

which I am quite certain are wrong. I can't seem to pinoint the third equation to help solve the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• context_fbd.pdf
    31.9 KB · Views: 245
Physics news on Phys.org
hi gate13! :wink:

gate13 said:
… But when I try solving the system with the values, I get:
α=90, θ=88.17 and Td = -1* 10-81

your method looks ok :confused:

show us how you got those figures :smile:

Hello tiny-tim,

First of all, I wish to thank you for taking time to answer my question. The values I listed above were obtained using a TI Voyage 200 calculator. What I entered (in the calclulator) was the following:
solve(Td*cos(theta)-Tc*cos(alpha)=0 and Td*sin(theta)+Tc*sin(alpha)-W = 0 and r*(180-alpha-theta) = a*sin(apha), {alpha, theta, Td})
I just realized I should be entering:
solve(Td*cos(theta)-Tc*cos(alpha)=0 and Td*sin(theta)+Tc*sin(alpha)-W = 0 and r*sin(180-alpha-theta) = a*sin(apha), {alpha, theta, Td}).
Upon correcting this, I obtained:
Td = 5.06 N, alpha = 27.99 degrees, theta = 31.00 degrees.

Once more I wish to thank you for your help ( and I feel a bit embarassed with respect to my mistake).

1. What is the definition of statics?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of stationary objects under the action of forces.

2. What does it mean for a system to be in equilibrium?

A system is in equilibrium when the sum of all the forces acting on it is equal to zero and there is no net rotation. This means that the system is not accelerating or changing its state of motion.

3. How do you determine the height (h) of a system in equilibrium?

To determine the height (h) of a system in equilibrium, you need to use the concept of torque. Torque is the measure of a force's tendency to rotate an object around an axis. By setting the sum of the forces and the sum of the torques equal to zero, you can solve for the unknown height (h).

4. What are the key principles in solving problems related to statics?

The key principles in solving problems related to statics are the concept of equilibrium, Newton's laws of motion, and the concept of torque. These principles help you understand and analyze the forces acting on a system and how they affect its equilibrium state.

5. Can you provide an example of a statics problem involving determining height (h)?

One example of a statics problem involving determining height (h) is a see-saw or balance beam. In this problem, you need to find the unknown height (h) of one end of the beam in order for the beam to remain in equilibrium with two masses placed on either end of the beam. By analyzing the forces and torques acting on the beam, you can solve for the unknown height (h).