Understanding Universe from laws extracted from the Universe?

In summary: These theories only need to be able to make predictions about the observable world. In summary, the conversation discusses Kurt Godel's incompleteness theorem and its applicability to understanding the universe. While the theorem is about mathematics and provability, some argue that it can also be applied to other fields such as physics. However, others argue that it is not relevant to physics, which is more concerned with effective theories and making predictions about the observable world. The conversation also touches on Godel's Completeness Theorem and the Continuum Hypothesis.
ExNihilo
Hi,

Based on Kurt Godel's incompleteness theorem, may be we could never understand the Universe completely because all our knowledge originated from within the Universe itself. Is it a valid application of the incompleteness theorem?

Space news on Phys.org
Based on Kurt Godel's incompleteness theorem, may be we could never understand the Universe completely because all our knowledge originated from within the Universe itself. Is it a valid application of the incompleteness theorem?
No, not according to me. The theorem is about mathematics/axioms in mathematics. Physics is about (more or less) accurate models, verifiable explanations and predictions. Two different animals. But this does not mean I say we will come to understand the Universe completely, that question is simply beyond my map.

Hum ... I read somewhere longtime ago, that Godel's theorem is generic. Something like you cannot use the knowledge inside a set to claim to understand the whole truth of the set itself. For example, using the precepts of a religion, you cannot claim knowing the whole truth about that religion.

So basically, could the incompleteness theorem could be that generic?

"I read somewhere longtime ago, that Godel's theorem is generic."
Generic in mathematics or outside mathematics? Some might propose this, others will not (e.g. here and here). I wouldn't propose it. This is the basic problem in my opinion:

• A mathematical theorem can be proven or disproven (mathematical proof).
  • A scientific theory cannot be proven in the same way, it still needs to be falsifiable.
So if you prove a mathematical theorem and strictly apply it to e.g. physics, physics will not be science anymore. This is one of the reasons why I personally avoid doing such "hard" comparisons between mathematics and physics. And if I venture any further into this, I think the thread eventually will be moved to Philosophy, so I stop here. :smile:

Last edited:
I actually started a thread about Godel's Incompleteness theorem and its applicability to physics a few days ago, you may want to read it to see if it answers your question:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=583692

Anyway, Godel's theorem certainly does not apply in general. In fact, Godel also proved Godel's Completeness Theorem, which basically shows that in a first order logic, all true statements can be proved from the axioms, and thus the true statements in a first-order logic are in fact enumerable (I hesitate to say countable since I don't want to sneak in any mathematical logic). In other words, you can't "Godelize" a formal system of logic without introducing the Peano axioms of number theory, or some other axioms.

Godel's theorem is not a very general statement at all: Godel's proof is merely a construction of a non-provable but also true statement--he just disproves the general idea that "all truths are provable" by demonstrating a counterexample. Another nice example of a proof like this is Cantor's diagonal slash: He provides a proof that real numbers are uncountable by taking an arbitrary countable collection and constructing an additional real number not in the collection, so he proved that there are at least two different infinities, countable and uncountable. To this day, nobody knows whether there are any infinities between these two--this is known as the Continuum Hypothesis.

That kind of proof contrasts with other types of proof. For example, take Archimedes' proofs by exhaustion of the areas of circles/spheres/cones/etc. They go along the lines of "suppose a circle had an area greater than ∏r2, let's say ∏r2+ε". He then shows that you could circumscribe a polygon with enough sides such that its area is greater than ∏r2 but less than ∏r2+ε. Then likewise he inscribes a polygon and shows its area can be made greater than ∏r2-ε. The proof gives an extremely definitive statement of what IS TRUE, as opposed to Godel or Cantor showing showing that a certain statement is NOT TRUE.

Jolb said:
I actually started a thread about Godel's Incompleteness theorem and its applicability to physics a few days ago, you may want to read it to see if it answers your question:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=583692

Anyway, Godel's theorem certainly does not apply in general. In fact, Godel also proved Godel's Completeness Theorem, which basically shows that in a first order logic, all true statements can be proved from the axioms, and thus the true statements in a first-order logic are in fact enumerable (I hesitate to say countable since I don't want to sneak in any mathematical logic). In other words, you can't "Godelize" a formal system of logic without introducing the Peano axioms of number theory, or some other axioms.

Godel's theorem is not a very general statement at all: Godel's proof is merely a construction of a non-provable but also true statement--he just disproves the general idea that "all truths are provable" by demonstrating a counterexample. Another nice example of a proof like this is Cantor's diagonal slash: He provides a proof that real numbers are uncountable by taking an arbitrary countable collection and constructing an additional real number not in the collection, so he proved that there are at least two different infinities, countable and uncountable. To this day, nobody knows whether there are any infinities between these two--this is known as the Continuum Hypothesis.

Godel constructed a theorem of mathematics that was not provable using only mathematics. It was however provable using some extra axioms that allow transfinite induction (Gentzen).

The Continuum Hypothesis is the statement that there are no infinities with cardinalities both greater than the integers and smaller than the reals. It was shown you can assume it is true and get a consistent mathematics. You may also assume that it is false and get a consistent mathematics.

I think that Godel has little or no relevance to physics. They aren't especially concerned about axiomatic proof, what they want are effective theories.

Last edited:

1. How do we extract laws from the universe?

Scientists use a combination of observation, experimentation, and mathematical models to extract laws from the universe. By studying the behavior of objects and systems in the universe, patterns and relationships can be identified and described through laws.

2. What is the purpose of understanding the universe through laws?

The purpose of understanding the universe through laws is to gain a deeper understanding of the natural world and how it operates. By understanding the fundamental laws that govern the universe, we can make predictions and advancements in various fields such as physics, astronomy, and technology.

3. Can laws extracted from the universe change over time?

Yes, laws extracted from the universe can change over time. As our understanding and technology advances, new observations and data may lead to the refinement or revision of existing laws. Additionally, laws may also change in different contexts or scales, as seen in the laws of physics.

4. How do laws extracted from the universe help us understand our place in the universe?

Laws extracted from the universe help us understand our place in the universe by providing a framework for understanding the origins, evolution, and behavior of the universe. They also allow us to make connections and see the interrelatedness of different phenomena, providing a bigger picture of our place in the universe.

5. Are laws extracted from the universe absolute truths?

No, laws extracted from the universe are not absolute truths. They are our current best understanding of how the universe operates based on available evidence and data. As our understanding and technology advances, these laws may be refined or revised, leading to a deeper understanding of the universe.