Magnetic force of one, moving charged particle on another (vector problem)

In summary, the magnetic force between two moving charged particles is determined by the formula F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and magnetic field. The direction of the force is determined by the right-hand rule, and is directly proportional to the velocity and charge of the particles. By adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the velocity of the particles can be controlled.
thunderjolt

Homework Statement

At a particular instant, charge q_1 = 4.80×10^−6 C is at the point (0, 0.250m , 0) and has velocity v_1=(9.2*10^5 m/s) i_hat. Charge q_2 = −2.50×10^−6 C is at the point (0.150m , 0, 0) and has velocity v_2 = (-5.3x10^5 m/s) j_hat.

At this instant, what is the magnetic force that q_1 exerts on q_2?

Homework Equations

The equations that I used are:
the X in both equations represents the cross product of the components
magnetic field of a moving point charge:
B=(μ_0/4pi)*(qvXr_hat)/r^2
Force of a magnetic field:
F_B=qvXB

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the right hand rule, I found that the magnetic field coming from q_2 would be in the +k_hat direction; and I found that the force from q_1 with that magnetic field would be in the -j_hat direction.

Furthermore, using the first equation, I found the B-field from q_2 to be 8.02*10^-17 (+z direction) using B_2=10^-7*q_2*v_2*r_x/r^3 (where r_x is the x-component of r, the distance between the 2 charges). With that B-field, I used the second equation to get a force of 3.54*10^-16 N (-y direction) using F_B=q_1*v_1XB. So, my final answer is 3.54*10^-10 μN (-j_hat).

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I have reviewed your solution and it seems to be correct. However, I would like to offer some additional insights and clarifications.

Firstly, your use of the equations is correct and your calculation of the magnetic field and force is also accurate. However, I would like to note that the magnetic field from q_2 should be in the -k_hat direction, as the cross product of v_2 and r_hat would result in a vector pointing in the -k_hat direction.

Secondly, I would like to mention that the force between the two charges is actually a combination of the electric and magnetic forces. At this instant, the electric force between the two charges would be much larger than the magnetic force, as the distance between the charges is relatively small compared to the velocities of the charges. Therefore, the magnetic force would only have a small contribution to the net force between the two charges.

Lastly, I would like to point out that the use of the right hand rule is not always reliable, as it depends on the orientation of the vectors. It is always a good practice to double check your results and ensure that they make physical sense.

Overall, your solution is correct and I hope this additional information helps. Keep up the good work!

What is the magnetic force between two moving charged particles?

The magnetic force between two moving charged particles is the force exerted on one particle due to the magnetic field created by the other particle. It can be calculated using the formula F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and magnetic field.

How is the direction of the magnetic force determined?

The direction of the magnetic force is determined by the right-hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the particle's velocity, and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm will face in the direction of the magnetic force.

What is the relationship between the magnetic force and the velocity of the particles?

The magnetic force is directly proportional to the velocity of the particles. This means that as the velocity increases, the magnetic force also increases. However, the direction of the force may change depending on the angle between the velocity and magnetic field.

How does the charge of the particles affect the magnetic force?

The magnetic force is directly proportional to the charge of the particles. This means that as the charge increases, the magnetic force also increases. However, if the charges are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive, while if they are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive.

Can the magnetic force be used to change the velocity of the particles?

Yes, the magnetic force can be used to change the direction of the particles' velocity. This is because the force acts perpendicular to the velocity, causing the particles to move in a circular path. By adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the velocity of the particles can be controlled.