Do you think this is an unhealthy mental condition?

• Thread starter Alex_Sanders
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Condition
In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of having a strong crush on someone and the question of whether it is a negative or unhealthy mental condition. The speaker shares their personal experience and mentions that this feeling can sometimes be difficult to control or override. They also mention that it is a common experience and advise not to let it consume one's life.
Alex_Sanders
Have you got a huge crush on someone before? You sure did, but have you got this feeling so strong that you thought she/he just had to be the one, and you'll never going to have the same feeling toward others ever again?

I personally had this feeling for several times, and since it's "several" times, I have long learned the fact that this kind of believe (someone is the one and no substitute will be accepted) is no more than an illusion.

The problem is, if I have this kind of emotional feeling, my senses and reasoning tend to have a really difficult time overriding it. And I've talked to some of my old school mate in the psychiatric industry, they told me most patient have perfect reasoning ability, it's just some times their reasoning ability fails to take control.

So do you think a huge crush, to put it rather concisely, is a negative, unhealthy mental condition?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's a socially acceptable form of insanity :biggrin:.

Such feelings lead one to begin stalking and creating shrines.

Nah. Everyone feels it at some point in their lives. I sure have. You pretty much have a biological impulse that tells you how bad you want her. Just don't get creepy and stalky, of course ;)

Make sure you still have another goal in life, though, that can ground you and maybe pull some focus off of her.

OP is no longer here.

1. What is considered an unhealthy mental condition?

Unhealthy mental conditions refer to a range of mental health disorders that significantly impact an individual's thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. These conditions can include anxiety disorders, mood disorders, personality disorders, and psychotic disorders.

2. What are the signs and symptoms of an unhealthy mental condition?

The signs and symptoms of an unhealthy mental condition can vary depending on the specific disorder. However, some common signs may include changes in mood or behavior, difficulty coping with daily life, changes in sleep or eating patterns, and persistent feelings of sadness or anxiety.

3. Can unhealthy mental conditions be treated?

Yes, unhealthy mental conditions can be treated through various methods such as therapy, medication, lifestyle changes, and support from loved ones. It is important to seek help from a mental health professional for an accurate diagnosis and personalized treatment plan.

4. Are unhealthy mental conditions caused by genetics or environmental factors?

Both genetics and environmental factors can play a role in the development of unhealthy mental conditions. Some disorders may have a strong genetic component, while others may be triggered by environmental factors such as trauma or stress.

5. How can I support someone with an unhealthy mental condition?

If someone you know is struggling with an unhealthy mental condition, it is important to offer support and understanding. This can include listening without judgment, encouraging them to seek professional help, and being patient and supportive of their treatment journey.