I seriously have no clue

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
In summary, the Earth's acceleration towards the person jumping off the chair is approximately 10^-22 m/s^2 and it will move upwards through a distance of approximately 10^-23 m. This is based on Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation, assuming the Earth is a perfectly solid object with a mass of approximately 6 x 10^24 kg.
UrbanXrisis
You stand on the seat of a chair and then hop off. a) During the time you are in flight down to the floor, the Earth is lurching up toward you with an acceleration of what order of magnitude? In your solution explain your logic. Visulize the Earth as a perfectly solid object. b) The Earth moves up through a distance of what order of magnitude?

The answer is:
a) 10^-22 m/s^2
b) 10^-23 m

I thought the acceleration would be 9.8m/s^2? I am lost on this one. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply Newton's laws for the Earth and u'll find both answers quit easily.You will need to know the law of gavitational attraction.

Daniel.

PS.Mass of Earth needs to be known.Approximate it to [itex] 6\cdot 10^{24} Kg [/itex]

It's understandable to be confused by this question, as it may seem counterintuitive at first. However, the key to understanding the answer lies in understanding the concept of relative motion.

When you hop off a chair, you are essentially in free fall towards the ground. At the same time, the Earth is also rotating on its axis and orbiting around the Sun. This means that while you are falling towards the ground, the Earth is also moving towards you at the same time.

In this scenario, the Earth's movement towards you is negligible compared to your own downward acceleration. This is because the Earth is much larger and heavier than you, so its acceleration towards you is much smaller.

To calculate the Earth's acceleration towards you, we can use the equation a=F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force, and m is the mass. In this case, the force is the gravitational force between you and the Earth, and the mass is the mass of the Earth. Plugging in the values, we get a=GmE/r^2mE, where G is the gravitational constant, mE is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between you and the center of the Earth.

If we assume that you are standing on a chair that is 1 meter above the ground, then r is approximately equal to the radius of the Earth, which is about 6.4 million meters. Plugging in the values, we get a=6.67x10^-11(5.98x10^24)/(6.4x10^6)^2=9.8x10^-22 m/s^2.

This means that the Earth's acceleration towards you is on the order of 10^-22 m/s^2, which is much smaller than the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) that you experience when you fall towards the ground.

As for the distance that the Earth moves towards you, we can use the equation d=1/2at^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Plugging in the values, we get d=1/2(9.8x10^-22)(1)^2=4.9x10^-22 m.

This means that the Earth moves towards you by a distance of about 10^-22 m, which is again much smaller than the distance

1. What does it mean when someone says "I seriously have no clue"?

When someone says "I seriously have no clue", it generally means that they have no understanding or knowledge about a particular topic or situation.

2. How do you respond to someone who says "I seriously have no clue"?

The best way to respond would be to offer help or clarification if you have knowledge about the topic, or to simply acknowledge their statement and move on to a different topic.

3. Is saying "I seriously have no clue" a sign of ignorance?

Not necessarily. It could simply mean that the person is not familiar with the topic being discussed and is being honest about their lack of knowledge.

4. Can "I seriously have no clue" be used sarcastically?

Yes, it can be used sarcastically to express frustration or annoyance, but it is important to consider the tone and context in which it is being said.

5. How can someone improve their understanding when they have no clue about a topic?

The best way to improve understanding would be to ask questions, do research, or seek guidance from someone who has knowledge about the topic. Being open-minded and willing to learn can also help in improving understanding.