Constant calorific value problem

In summary, you need to maintain the same mole fractions of air and methane to keep a constant calorific value. A simplified formula or equation would suffice for your Delphi visualization program.
pomocnik89
Hello, I've got this problem:

Imagine I mix 2 gases - air + methane (e.g.) and I can change/control quantity/volume of each gas. So if I change the volume of air how much methane should I add to keep a constant calorific value KJ/kg? So for example if I add 200 litres of air I need to know how much methane to add to have a constant calorific value, and then if I add only 150 then how much gas i need to add etc.

Hope I explained my problem ... Just some simplified formula/equation would be ok. I need it for my Delphi vizualization program, so it hasn't to be "physicaly 100% correct" :-) Thank you very very much for your help !

Physics news on Phys.org
pomocnik89 said:
Hello, I've got this problem:

Imagine I mix 2 gases - air + methane (e.g.) and I can change/control quantity/volume of each gas. So if I change the volume of air how much methane should I add to keep a constant calorific value KJ/kg? So for example if I add 200 litres of air I need to know how much methane to add to have a constant calorific value, and then if I add only 150 then how much gas i need to add etc.

Hope I explained my problem ... Just some simplified formula/equation would be ok. I need it for my Delphi vizualization program, so it hasn't to be "physicaly 100% correct" :-) Thank you very very much for your help !
You need to maintain the same mole fractions.

1. What is the constant calorific value problem?

The constant calorific value problem refers to a situation in which the calorific value of a substance remains constant despite changes in its physical or chemical properties. This can be a concern in scientific experiments or industrial processes, as it can affect the accuracy of calculations and measurements.

2. What causes the constant calorific value problem?

The constant calorific value problem can be caused by a variety of factors, such as impurities in the substance, incomplete combustion, or improper calibration of equipment. It can also be a result of human error, such as incorrect measurements or calculations.

3. How is the constant calorific value problem addressed?

The constant calorific value problem can be addressed through careful calibration and maintenance of equipment, as well as proper handling and preparation of the substance. It is also important to consider potential sources of error and take steps to minimize their impact on the results.

4. What are the implications of the constant calorific value problem?

The constant calorific value problem can have significant implications in scientific research and industrial processes. It can lead to inaccurate measurements and calculations, which can affect the validity of experimental results or the efficiency of industrial processes.

5. How can the constant calorific value problem be prevented?

To prevent the constant calorific value problem, it is important to carefully follow procedures and protocols for handling, measuring, and calculating the substance. Regular maintenance and calibration of equipment is also crucial. Additionally, conducting control experiments or using multiple methods can help identify and correct any issues that may arise.