Quadcopter without propeller (with hidden propeller)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a quadcopter using a "bladeless fan" or air multiplier technology instead of traditional propellers. While there are some precedents for this idea in aviation, it is likely to result in major efficiency losses and require a larger size and more energy to maintain flight. However, it is still worth considering and exploring in theory.
white_fang
Hello everyone,
First, I'm sorry about my bad english, if something you don't understand correctly, please ask me, so I'll try to explain it.
_______

My idea is a quadcopter without propellers, actually the propellers are hidden. This idea comes from this video. It's a "bladeless fan" or an air multiplier.
youtube.com/watch?v=ezK2GdfxnyY

So far I think the quadcopter will need lots of energy. But what if this air multiplier is stronger than normal fan/propeller, I think it's still worth to make one.
Is it possible that a quadcopter can fly with this technology? What do you think?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
white_fang said:
So far I think the quadcopter will need lots of energy. But what if this air multiplier is stronger than normal fan/propeller, I think it's still worth to make one.
Is it possible that a quadcopter can fly with this technology? What do you think?
Thanks

How can this be? Those things use a propeller to pull in the surrounding air and blow it through the structure which has an aerodynamic shape that directs it outward, hence major efficiency losses. So there is no way it could have more thrust than the thrust created from a direct drive system.

Its like the Siemen's hybrid aircraft which uses a gas engine to drive an electric engine in order to fly. Its like using an extended grip to grab a pencil in order to write your homework. See where this is going?

I'm guessing in theory there is a possibility it could work, but I'd bet that the efficiency loss would drive the size of the motors required to maintain level flight quite high, much higher than a direct drive quadrotor of equivalent thrust would ever be.

There are lots of precedents for this idea in aviation.
Few have actually performed in practice.
The most extreme was the XV12, a VTOL fighter whose engine exhaust went through a nozzle that was supposed to entrain additional ambient air to increase the thrust in hover.
Sucking in a massive amount of air to feed 4 cold gas jets is essentially what is proposed here. That will work, but the weight of the ducting needed will ensure that the performance of the vehicle will fall far short of any more conventional design.

1. What is a quadcopter without propeller?

A quadcopter without propeller is a type of drone that uses hidden propellers to generate lift, instead of having visible propellers on the exterior of the aircraft. This design allows for a more streamlined and aesthetically appealing appearance, as well as potentially reducing noise levels.

2. How does a quadcopter without propeller work?

A quadcopter without propeller works by using four hidden propellers that are located inside the body of the aircraft. These propellers are connected to motors that provide the necessary thrust to lift and maneuver the drone. The propellers are positioned in a way that allows for efficient airflow and lift, while also minimizing noise.

3. What are the advantages of a quadcopter without propeller?

There are several advantages of a quadcopter without propeller, including a more streamlined and aesthetically pleasing design, reduced noise levels, and potentially improved aerodynamic performance. The hidden propellers also provide a safer option as there are no exposed blades that could potentially cause harm to people or objects.

4. Are there any disadvantages to a quadcopter without propeller?

One potential disadvantage of a quadcopter without propeller is that it may be more complex and expensive to manufacture compared to traditional quadcopters. The hidden propellers also require more precise engineering and maintenance, which could result in higher maintenance costs.

5. Is a quadcopter without propeller suitable for all applications?

While a quadcopter without propeller may have advantages in terms of design and noise reduction, it may not be suitable for all applications. The hidden propellers may not provide enough thrust for heavy-duty tasks, such as carrying heavy payloads or flying in harsh weather conditions. It may also have limitations in terms of flight time and range compared to traditional quadcopters.