Nitrates and Nitrites with FeSO4 + CH3COOH

• Thread starter Knightycloud
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of FeSO4 + CH3COOH for identifying NO3- and NO2-. While the brown ring test can be used to identify NO3-, it is unlikely that using acetic acid can accurately identify NO2-. Further research is needed to confirm this.
Knightycloud

Homework Statement

I know that NO3- can be separately identify using newly made FeSO4 + H2SO4 using the brown ring test.
The problem is can we identify NO2- using newly made FeSO4 + CH3COOH? Replacing H2SO4 with CH3COOH?

Homework Equations

NO2-(aq) + FeSO4(aq) + CH3COOH(aq)[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [A Brown Circle]?
or is this equation invalid?

The Attempt at a Solution

Nothing being attempted! :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NO2- or NO3-, you are inconsistent.

If NO3- try to find out what is the reaction involved.

Last edited:
Its NO2- is the problem. I've never learn such a reaction using Acetic acid to identify NO2- and a paper says you can't but I got it from a friend who says that using Acetic acid can identify NO2-.

I find it rather unlikely. While NO2- can interfere, test in general requires concentrated sulfuric acid, I doubt acetic acid is strong enough.

Yeah, I believe it too. So may I have the final conclusion as Acetic acid does nothing regarding detection of NO2-? I've never heard such a test too!

That's what I expect, but I have learned long to not assume everything I expect is true.

1. What are nitrates and nitrites?

Nitrates and nitrites are chemical compounds that contain nitrogen and oxygen. They are commonly found in fertilizers and are also used in food preservation and industrial processes.

2. What is the purpose of adding FeSO4 and CH3COOH to nitrates and nitrites?

FeSO4 (iron sulfate) and CH3COOH (acetic acid) are often added to nitrates and nitrites to act as reducing agents. This helps to convert nitrates and nitrites into a form that is more easily used by plants and other organisms.

3. Are nitrates and nitrites harmful to human health?

In high concentrations, nitrates and nitrites can be harmful to human health. They can react with certain compounds in the body to form carcinogenic substances. However, in small amounts, they are naturally found in many foods and are generally considered safe for consumption.

4. How do nitrates and nitrites affect the environment?

Nitrates and nitrites can have negative effects on the environment if they are present in high concentrations. They can contribute to eutrophication, a process in which excess nutrients in water cause an overgrowth of algae and other aquatic plants, leading to a decrease in oxygen levels and harm to other organisms.

5. Can nitrates and nitrites be removed from water or soil?

Yes, nitrates and nitrites can be removed from water and soil through various methods, such as filtration, bioremediation, and chemical treatments. However, prevention is the best approach to managing nitrate and nitrite pollution.