Taking Topology vs. another major for an applied math student

In summary, the conversation is about an undergraduate student who is triple majoring in Mathematics, Engineering Physics, and Biological Engineering. They are considering dropping the Biological Engineering major in order to take a required course in Topology, but they are unsure if this will affect their chances of getting into high level graduate programs in Applied Mathematics. The student has a strong background in math, including Real Analysis, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Complex Analysis, and Numerical Analysis. They are also studying Topology independently and have experience with PDEs through a research program. The conversation also touches on the GRE subject test and the admissions requirements for graduate programs.
thepolishteer
Hello,

I'm an undergraduate who's going to be a senior this coming fall. I'm currently triple majoring in Mathematics/Engineering Physics/Biological Engineering. I'm also looking to enter graduate school in applied mathematics. My schedule for this last year all fits together quite well, except that a required course for the Biological Engineering major conflicts with Topology. I'm now debating dropping the Biological Engineering major just to take Topology.

My Question is: How important is Topology for someone looking at applied math graduate schools? I'm aiming for high level graduate programs, and am wondering if not having topology on my transcript will be a major setback in applied math, i.e. it would be better to drop the third major. Just so everyone knows, here is the total list of math & related classes that I'll have when I graduate:

Real Analysis I&II
Linear Algebra & Abstract Algebra (Both upper level)
Graduate Real Analysis
Complex Analysis
Numerical Analysis I&II
Differential Geometry
Nonlinear Dynamics/Chaos
Mathematical Physics I&II

Note I'm studying topology on my own currently, So I will hopefully be prepared for Diff. Geometry when I take it. Also, while I haven't take a PDE course formally, I am currently doing a PDE heavy REU that I hope will make up for it. Also, dropping the Biological Engineering major at this point will only make enough room for one more math class in addition to topology.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, and if anyone else has other advice they'd like to give about my situation I'd be glad to hear it.

Physics news on Phys.org
perhaps i can hazard a guess you're going to UofM? but I'm having some difficulty figuring out what exactly your question is. do you want to take topology because you just want to look good, or do you want to take it because it will be a necessary tool later on when you're doing your own research? if its the former, as you seem to indicate, then no, it will probably not affect your perfect gpa. if its the latter, then again, no, since real analysis II (nonlinear functional analysis for me?) will likely apply more specifically to your analytic goals. if however, it is the skills of set theory and logic, and that of knowing the universe at a deeper level, humm...maybe.

Thanks for the response. I go to Cornell. I agree that Functional Analysis is more of what I'll likely be doing in my research. Our Analysis II doesn't include Functional Analysis but it makes up half of the graduate level analysis course.

I guess the reason I'm posting my question is because of what I've read on this forum and others regarding topology in a pure math curriculum. From what I've read is seems undergraduate topology is pretty much a requirement for pure math, and not having it on your transcripts will raise a red flag with graduate admissions. I'm just wondering how different the view is when it comes to applied math programs. Ultimately, while I have genuine interest in topology, I'd like to be able to finish my biological engineering major as I enjoy the subject and the certification may help me in my future goals. I just want to know I'm not shooting myself in the foot when it comes to graduate school admissions.

Last edited:
i think without group theory and topology, the GRE subject test will be unnecessarily hard. I've looked at UofM's Racknam graduate program, and i find their admissions requirements to be a head stratcher. "Do I have to ace everything, dance my way through multiple community services all the while taking five courses concurrently, AND researched new medicines?" and then suddenly you find you've gotten in for some weird aspect of your personality which nobody pointed out to you.

If it were me, I'd study topology on my own. It's a fairly small part of the math GRE. A little bit of topology should be pretty useful to any mathematician.

1. What is topology and how is it related to applied math?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space and the relationships between objects within that space. It is closely related to applied math because it provides tools and techniques for analyzing and understanding complex systems and data sets.

2. How does taking topology help with other areas of applied math?

Topology provides a framework for understanding and solving problems in other areas of applied math, such as differential equations, optimization, and data analysis. Its focus on abstract spaces and structures allows for a deeper understanding of complex systems.

3. What kind of career opportunities are available for someone with a background in topology?

A person with a background in topology can pursue a variety of careers in fields such as data science, computer science, finance, engineering, and research. They may work as data analysts, software developers, quantitative analysts, or researchers.

4. Is topology a difficult subject to study?

Topology can be challenging for some students because it requires abstract thinking and the ability to visualize complex structures. However, with practice and dedication, anyone can develop a strong understanding of topology and its applications in applied math.

5. How does topology compare to other majors for an applied math student?

Topology differs from other majors for applied math students in that it focuses on the study of spaces and structures, rather than specific applications or techniques. It can complement other majors, such as statistics or computer science, by providing a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical principles.