Is there a data base of scientific journals?

This should pull up peer reviewed articles from the last 3 years.In summary, the conversation discussed the need for two peer reviewed scientific journals as references for a chemistry report on methane emission from cows. The question was raised about whether there is a database that has this information readily available, and it was clarified that the desired articles should be from the last 3 years and focus on the chemistry of methane production in cows. Several suggestions were made, including using a search engine like Google or Google Scholar, searching on specific topics or organisms, and utilizing library databases through a school or university.
member 392791
I have to do a chemistry report and have two peer reviewed scientific journals related to my topic as references. My question is if there is some sort of database that has this information readily available?

Physics news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:
I have to do a chemistry report and have two peer reviewed scientific journals related to my topic as references. My question is if there is some sort of database that has this information readily available?
Are you asking if there is a database of peer reviewed journals, or a database of papers?

peer reviewed journals

This page didn't have any articles pertaining to my research topic...I've been searching on google, is it just me or do scientific peer review journals cost money to view? Is there somewhere I can look for free?

I'm looking for 2 articles related to methane emission from cows that have been published within the last 3 years

Woopydalan said:
This page didn't have any articles pertaining to my research topic...I've been searching on google, is it just me or do scientific peer review journals cost money to view? Is there somewhere I can look for free?

I'm looking for 2 articles related to methane emission from cows that have been published within the last 3 years
That's what I asked, are you looking for journals or specific papers. You said you wanted a list of journals.

Have you done a search on "methane emission from cows". What specifically are you looking for in relation to this? And yes, most peer reviewed papers will cost you. Are you a University student?

If one uses a search engine and searches on "methane","cows" or "beef cattle", one will find some articles.

Bioresource Technology

M.C Sterling Jr., R.E Lacey, C.R Engler, S.C Ricke, Effects of ammonia nitrogen on H2 and CH4 production during anaerobic digestion of dairy cattle manure, Bioresource Technology, Volume 77, Issue 1, March 2001, Pages 9-18, ISSN 0960-8524, 10.1016/S0960-8524(00)00138-3.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960852400001383)
Keywords: Anaerobic digestion; Hydrogen; Nitrogen; Mesophilic; Dairy manure

I one searches for those topics in conjuction with a university, such as Texas A&M Uni. (TAMU), or other A&M universities, one may find citatations or references to published articles on cattle manure and methane production.

Sorry evo, I misinterpreted your question as being "Do you want peer reviewed or non peer reviewed journals?"

And to Astronuc, the restriction is that it must be written within the last 3 years, the one you cited was from 2001. I have used google and searched but have yet to find one from 3 years ago or less. I am not a university student.

I want a paper that is about the chemistry of the methane production in the cows, that should be the emphasis of my paper, and to a lesser extent the environmental effects of it.

Woopydalan said:
Sorry evo, I misinterpreted your question as being "Do you want peer reviewed or non peer reviewed journals?"

And to Astronuc, the restriction is that it must be written within the last 3 years, the one you cited was from 2001. I have used google and searched but have yet to find one from 3 years ago or less. I am not a university student.

I want a paper that is about the chemistry of the methane production in the cows, that should be the emphasis of my paper, and to a lesser extent the environmental effects of it.
I understand that you want articles from the last 3 years. I gave an example of a journal that publishes material of interest and a starting point.

It also shows the authors and institution who are doing research in the area of interest. There are other journals -see the reference section, and there are other authors and institutions.

Some other examples more recent
http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/AN10163.htm
Ruminant enteric methane mitigation: a review (2011)
School of Environmental and Rural Science, University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia.

and from 2012
New Zealand Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Research Centre 2nd Annual Conference
http://www.agresearch.co.nz/news/pages/news-item.aspx?News-id=12-01-27-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Woopydalan said:

Wow, that's going to be hard to find. I found a few papers, but they were older than 3 years.

Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology

Applied and Environmental Microbiology

Search on methanogenic bacteria or archaebacteria, or specific organisms, e.g., Methanosarcinaceae
http://aem.asm.org/search?fulltext=methanogenic&submit=yes&x=6&y=8

Much has already been established in the biochemical process of methanogenic organisms. Perhaps there is a recent literature survey.

If you're a college student, your school should have a library database. Through that database, you should be able to link to different search databases (eg: Academic Search Complete). Once you find a database that should contain the information you're looking for, you can do an advanced search for your specific topic.

1. What is a data base of scientific journals?

A data base of scientific journals is a digital collection or repository of published articles and research studies in various fields of science, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and others. It serves as a central location for scientists, researchers, and students to access and retrieve relevant information for their studies or projects.

2. How do I access a data base of scientific journals?

There are several ways to access a data base of scientific journals. Some options include subscribing to a specific database through a university or research institution, using a public library's database resources, or purchasing individual articles from the publishers themselves. Many databases also offer free access to certain articles or allow for limited free searches.

3. What types of information can I find in a data base of scientific journals?

A data base of scientific journals typically includes a wide range of information, such as academic articles, research studies, conference proceedings, book chapters, and review papers. These may also include supplementary materials such as data sets, images, and videos. The database may also provide information on the authors, affiliations, and citations for each article.

4. How are data bases of scientific journals organized?

Data bases of scientific journals are typically organized by subject, publication date, and author. They may also include search filters to narrow down results by specific keywords, authors, or journals. Some databases also offer advanced search options, allowing for more specific searches based on criteria such as methodology, study type, or funding source.

5. Are all scientific journals included in a data base?

No, not all scientific journals are included in a data base. Some databases may have a specific focus on a particular field of science or only include articles from certain publishers. Additionally, some journals may not be available in a database due to access restrictions or licensing agreements. It is important to check the database's coverage and sources before using it for research purposes.