Verifying Diagram of +4uC and -16uC Charges Separated by 3.0m

• Thread starter Winner
  • Start date
In summary, if you have two charges that are separated by a distance of 3.0 meters, and the electric field at point r is zero, then a point charge placed at point r will experience no force.
Winner
I have two charges, one is -16uC and the other +4uC. They are separated by 3.0m. I have to find the point in which the electric field is = 0 .

Is my diagram here correct? (I mean are the lengths of the arrows correct with respect to magnitude of attraction between the two)

-16uC -->E=0<----------- +4uC.
<------------------->
3.0m

Physics news on Phys.org
if the electric field at point r is zero than a point charge placed at point r will experience no force. Now, if we look at your problem. Suppose we place a negative charge somewhere in between the two particles. How will it interract with the other two? (Pay close attention to the direction of the force and electric field)

ok...
Maybe like this:

-16uC ---- (-C) ---> --- <----- +4uC.

Repel away from -16 and go towards +4.

So is something wrong with my first diagram?
-16uC -->E=0<----------- +4uC. ?

or maybe it should be

-16uC ------------->E=0<-- +4uC. I think the first one looks more correct.

Yes, exactly. If the charge is placed in between the two particles, it will be repelled by one and attracted by the other. Therefore, both of the two particles will force it in the same direction. If that is true, how is it possible for the forces to cancel out?

I don't believe either of the two are correct.

Last effort lol. Is this right?

-16uC <-------------E=0--> +4uC.

Wait a min, it doesn't have to between the two...

So wait, it could be

<---------------------
-16uC ___________________+4uC---->d where (E=0)
?

Now that's better, youre right, it doesn't have to be between the two. Now which side would it have to be on?

The right side lol! I should make the electric fields equal as in E=k(q)/d^2.

1. What is the purpose of verifying the diagram of +4uC and -16uC charges separated by 3.0m?

The purpose of verifying the diagram is to ensure that the charges and their separation distance are accurately represented in the diagram. This helps to confirm the accuracy of any calculations or predictions based on the diagram.

2. How is the diagram of +4uC and -16uC charges separated by 3.0m verified?

The diagram can be verified by using mathematical equations and principles, such as Coulomb's Law and the superposition principle. These calculations should result in the same values as those shown in the diagram.

3. Why is it important to verify the diagram of +4uC and -16uC charges separated by 3.0m?

Verifying the diagram is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of any conclusions or predictions made based on the diagram. It also helps to identify any errors or discrepancies in the diagram that may affect the results.

4. What happens if the diagram of +4uC and -16uC charges separated by 3.0m is not verified?

If the diagram is not verified, it means that there may be errors or inaccuracies in the representation of the charges and their separation distance. This can lead to incorrect calculations and predictions, and may impact the overall understanding of the system.

5. Can the diagram of +4uC and -16uC charges separated by 3.0m be verified experimentally?

Yes, the diagram can be verified experimentally by measuring the actual charges and their separation distance, and comparing these values to those shown in the diagram. This can help to confirm the accuracy of the diagram and its representation of the system.