Stretched wire potentiometer, Conceptual help

In summary, the problem is that the wire used in a potentiometer has significant resistance per millimetre, so when we measure voltage or current it will drop by 10 volts over 1000 millimetres, making it difficult to compare voltages or currents.
amk_dbz
I am having problem understanding the working of Stretched wire potentiometer.

Now the book says that the potential of a and A are same because the wire Aa has negligible resistance. That is were the problem comes for me. Suppose the batter connected to AB be of 10V (assume negative terminal to be of 0V) and the one connected to ab be 5V(assume negative terminal to be of 0V). Now the pt a is at 5V and A is at 10V, therefore current should flow from A to a, but this doesn't happen, Why?
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

(check the image of circuit diagram of potentiometer. Sorry for bad quality, I am not a good painter.) :smile:

Attachments

• Potentiometer.jpg
    Potentiometer.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 671
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have copied the diagram completely and correctly?

A potentiometer measures voltage.
You cannot measure resistance with a potentiometer alone.

You can compare resistance with a known standard.

Or you can independently measure the current through the unknown resistance and use the potentiometer to measure the voltage across the unknown resistor and then calculate the resistance from Ohm's law.

Do you understand the basic operation of a potentiometer?

Last edited:
I am a bit confused but what you said is correct. The potentiometer measures the potential difference and not the resistance (Sry for the mistake).

I am a bit confused

We can only help with more information.

I am a bit confused due to the problem I am facing as told in the first post. Other things are clear. So, could you help me with the problem? I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer for it for a month or two, so any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.:smile:

Now the book says that the potential of a and A are same because the wire Aa has negligible resistance. That is were the problem comes for me.

So is this your issue?

The wire that the potentiometer is made of is special wire with significant resistance per millimetre. The wire is not ordinary copper wire that is designed to have as little resistance per millimetre as possible.

When we connect two points (eg Aa) by ordinary copper wire we can say they are at the same voltage because the resistance of the connecting wire is negligible.

But when we connect say 10 volts across the potentiometer wire there is a regular voltage drop of 10 volts over 1000 millimetres or 1/100 volts per millimetre, or 1 volt every 100 millimetres. Since the voltage drop is regular (even) we can measure it by measuring distance along the wire.

So at a point at say 400mm from the zero end the voltage is 400 * 1/100 = 4 volts

If the voltage along the whole potentiometer wire is greater than the voltage you wish to measure then somewhere along the wire it must equal the that voltage.

So you can compare voltages by sliding a contact along the wire until the voltage at b and the slider (in your diagram) are equal.
Since they are equal no current flows through the galvanometer.

How are we doing? are we making progress?

1. What is a stretched wire potentiometer?

A stretched wire potentiometer is a type of variable resistor used to measure the displacement or position of an object. It consists of a long, thin wire that is stretched between two fixed points and connected to a circuit. As the wire is stretched or contracted, the resistance changes, allowing for precise measurements of displacement.

2. How does a stretched wire potentiometer work?

When a voltage is applied to the stretched wire potentiometer, the wire acts as a resistor, creating a voltage drop along its length. The amount of resistance and voltage drop is directly proportional to the length of the wire. By measuring the voltage drop, the position or displacement of the wire can be determined.

3. What are the advantages of using a stretched wire potentiometer?

Stretched wire potentiometers have several advantages, including high precision and accuracy, fast response time, and a wide measurement range. They are also relatively simple and inexpensive compared to other types of position sensors.

4. What are some common applications of stretched wire potentiometers?

Stretched wire potentiometers are commonly used in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and robotics. They are often used to measure the position of control surfaces in airplanes, suspension systems in cars, and the movement of robotic arms or joints.

5. How do I choose the right stretched wire potentiometer for my application?

When choosing a stretched wire potentiometer, it is important to consider factors such as the required measurement range, accuracy, and resolution. You should also consider the environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, and the type of output signal needed (analog or digital). Consulting with a sensor expert can also help you choose the best option for your specific application.