Changing a velocity distributions

In summary, changing the setup of a Gaussian velocity distribution can result in a part of the distribution getting bunched into a lower velocity class, which can be considered cooling in the laser-cooling field. However, it may not constitute overall cooling of all the atoms as it is a collective parameter. The velocities are still random and the relationship between randomized kinetic energy, speed, and temperature is not affected by this change.
Niles
Hi

Say I have a Gaussian velocity distribution for a collection of particles. Then I make a change to the setup in a way that the velocity distribution changes. This change is such that a part (not all) of the distribution gets bunched into one particular velocity class lower than the mean of the Gaussian.

Does this constitute cooling of the atoms as well as slowing? I would say no myself, as "cooling" is a collective parameter of all the atoms, not just some of them.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocities are still random?
What is the relationship between randomized kinetic energy (and, therefore, speed) and temperature?

Niles said:
Hi

Say I have a Gaussian velocity distribution for a collection of particles. Then I make a change to the setup in a way that the velocity distribution changes. This change is such that a part (not all) of the distribution gets bunched into one particular velocity class lower than the mean of the Gaussian.

Does this constitute cooling of the atoms as well as slowing? I would say no myself, as "cooling" is a collective parameter of all the atoms, not just some of them.

Niles.
It is considered cooling in the laser-cooling field, with the understanding that it is a subset of the entire collection of atoms that has been cooled.

1. What is a velocity distribution?

A velocity distribution is a way to describe the speeds and directions of particles within a system. It is typically represented graphically as a histogram, with the speed on the x-axis and the number of particles with that speed on the y-axis.

2. Why would you want to change a velocity distribution?

Changing a velocity distribution allows researchers to manipulate the behavior of particles within a system. This can be useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems, such as in fluid dynamics or gas dynamics.

3. How can you change a velocity distribution?

There are several ways to change a velocity distribution, such as by altering the temperature or pressure of the system, introducing external forces, or changing the properties of the particles themselves. These changes can impact the speed and direction of the particles, and therefore alter the velocity distribution.

4. What factors can affect a velocity distribution?

The velocity distribution of a system can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, external forces, particle interactions, and the properties of the particles themselves (such as mass and shape).

5. How does changing a velocity distribution impact the overall behavior of a system?

Changing a velocity distribution can have a significant impact on the overall behavior of a system. For example, it can affect the rate and direction of particle collisions, the transport of energy and momentum within the system, and the formation of patterns or structures. Understanding and controlling velocity distributions can provide insights into the behavior of complex systems and aid in the development of new technologies.