Take Computer Science before Numerical Analysis?

In summary, the conversation revolved around whether or not it would be beneficial for a math major to take Computer Science I before Intro to Numerical Analysis. It was mentioned that some computer knowledge is required for the Numerical Analysis class, and that taking an intro to C++ or MATLAB course beforehand would be helpful. It was also stated that Computer Science is generally easy for math majors to pick up. The speaker recommended taking Computer Science I before Numerical Analysis, even though it may not be necessary for the class. The conversation also touched on the topics covered in the Computer Science course, such as problem-solving, coding, and use of the Unified Modeling Language.
SMA_01
I'm a math major, and it's required we take Computer Science I. I've never had any experience with programming (don't really know about it). I was thinking of taking Intro to Numerical Analysis, but when I read the course description it said that some computer knowledge is required. Would it be wiser for me to take Computer Science I before Numerical Analysis? Is computer science really hard? I love math, but I'm not a computer guru.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You should at least know the basics of computer programming. There was a student in my numerical analysis class who knew nothing about programming and it was embarassing to see her struggle in the class (asking everyone for help, crying when she couldn't finish assignments, etc).

If you take an intro to C++ course or perhaps a MATLAB class of some sort, you will be set. Computer science is actually pretty easy for most math majors to pick up.

Thanks, so would recommend Computer Science 1 before Numerical Analysis?

This is the course description for CIS:

This course provides a foundation for further studies in computer and information science. It emphasizes a structured approach to problem solving and algorithm development. Topics include principles of program design, coding, debugging, testing and documentation. Students are introduced to the Unified Modeling Langauge for requirements analysis using use-cases and activity diagrams, an object-oriented programming language (C++), and the fundamentals of computer hardware, system software and components. The course will consist of three lecture hours and one two-hour laboratory

Yea, i would definitely recommend taking the CS class before numerical analysis.

I know that for my Numerical Analysis class a Comp. Sci. class was NOT necessary. Sure sometimes we had to use some MATLAB but it was pretty easy to pick it up along the way.

Maybe it would help if you could list the course description for your Numerical Analysis class, to see how much of it is you actually sitting behind a computer (in our case it was limited, most was theoretical).

EDIT: I just saw that you have to take the Comp. Sci. class anyhow, so in that case I suppose it makes sense to take it first, but if it causes you any trouble (sub-optimal scheduling) I would stick to my above post: sometimes it doesn't matter much.

1. What is the difference between computer science and numerical analysis?

Computer science is a broad field that involves the study of algorithms, data structures, and programming languages. It focuses on the theoretical and practical aspects of computing and information processing. On the other hand, numerical analysis is a specific branch of mathematics that deals with developing algorithms and methods for solving mathematical problems using numerical approximations. It is often used in scientific and engineering applications.

2. Why is it important to take computer science before numerical analysis?

Computer science provides the foundational knowledge and skills needed to understand and apply numerical analysis techniques. It teaches students how to think algorithmically and develop efficient solutions to problems, which are essential for understanding and implementing numerical methods. Without a strong background in computer science, it can be challenging to grasp the complex concepts and algorithms used in numerical analysis.

3. What are some examples of applications for numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis is used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. Some common applications include solving differential equations, optimizing complex systems, and simulating physical processes. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning to make predictions and extract meaningful information from large datasets.

4. Can I take numerical analysis before computer science?

In most cases, it is recommended to take computer science before numerical analysis. This is because computer science provides the fundamental concepts and skills needed to understand and implement numerical methods. Without this background knowledge, it can be challenging to understand the complex algorithms and techniques used in numerical analysis. However, some universities may offer introductory courses in numerical analysis that do not require a background in computer science.

5. How can I prepare for a course in numerical analysis?

To prepare for a course in numerical analysis, it is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra. It would also be helpful to have some programming experience, as many numerical analysis algorithms and methods are implemented using computer programs. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with basic numerical methods and their applications can give you a head start in the course.