Denaturation and Peptide Bonds

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonds
In summary, enzymes lose their ability to catalyze reactions above 104°C as they become denatured, which means they lose their three-dimensional shape. However, peptide bonds do not break down in this process, as they form the primary structure of proteins and enzymes. While some sources may claim otherwise, practical evidence suggests that proteins can withstand temperatures slightly above 104°C without denaturation.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

CliffNotes said:
Above 104°, these enzymes begin to lose their ability to catalyze reactions as they become denatured, that is, they lose their three-dimensional shape as hydrogen bonds and peptide bonds begin to break down.

Homework Equations

Peptide bonds DO NOT BREAK DOWN when proteins/enzymes are denatured. Peptide bonds form the primary structure of proteins and enzymes. All of the textbooks here are my sources:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pep...cp.r_qf.&fp=111e727753762aa8&biw=1366&bih=677

The Attempt at a Solution

Conclusion: the CliffNotes book is flat-out W R O N G.

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would depend on how far above 104oC one goes and how long it's held there but you are right that it is wrong for temperatures only somewhat above that temperature in a reasonable timeframe.

You are correct.
Trust me on this one. I'm doing a PhD in biochemistry.

Heard of the SDS-PAGE technique?
It involves heating proteins to 100C for 10 mins, and then running them on a gel.
I've run many, many gels, and my peptide-bonds have never broken.
You can make out by just looking at the stained-bands

Last edited:

1) What is denaturation?

Denaturation is the process by which a protein loses its shape and function due to external factors such as heat, pH changes, or chemicals. This disrupts the protein's secondary and tertiary structure, but not its primary structure (amino acid sequence).

2) How does denaturation affect peptide bonds?

Denaturation can cause the peptide bonds in a protein to break, leading to the breakdown of the protein into smaller peptides or individual amino acids. This disruption of the protein's structure can also affect the stability of the peptide bonds and weaken their ability to hold the protein together.

3) What role do peptide bonds play in protein structure?

Peptide bonds are covalent bonds that link amino acids together to form a protein's primary structure. They also contribute to the formation of secondary and tertiary structures, as they determine the angles and rotations of the protein's backbone.

4) Can denaturation be reversed?

In some cases, denaturation can be reversed by restoring the protein's natural environment, such as adjusting the pH or temperature. However, denaturation caused by irreversible factors such as extreme heat or chemical modification cannot be reversed.

5) How does denaturation affect the function of a protein?

Denaturation can alter the shape of a protein, which can affect its ability to interact with other molecules and carry out its specific function. In some cases, denaturation can completely inactivate a protein, rendering it unable to perform its biological role.