How thick should a steel plate be to support a load of 1300 N in a 3 point bend?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the basic deflection equation to determine the necessary thickness of a steel plate to support a load of 1300 N in a 3 point bend. The calculation takes into account the surface dimensions of the plate and factors such as the modulus of elasticity (E) and deflection (δ). The final result is 15 mm, but after realizing an error in the units for E, the correct value of 3.8 mm is obtained. Cross checking with other tools is recommended to avoid potential errors.
Grant_
I'm using the basic deflection equation to determine how thick a plate of steel would have to be to support a load of approximately 1300 N in a 3 point bend, with surface dimensions of of 420 x 630 mm.

I = bh3/12; δ = FL3/(C1EI); Esteel = 200 GPa = 200 N/mm; δ = 50 mm (arbitrary);

h3 = 1300*(4203)*12/(48*50*630*200)

I'm getting a result of 15 mm... to me that seems a bit thick, especially when the weight would be close to 33 kg. Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Grant_: Nice work. You currently used the wrong units for E. Try again.

Your value of E should be in MPa in the equation (i.e. N and mm = MPa). So E = 200000e6. So answer is 3.8 mm?

I usually cross check structural calculations like this with BeamCALC or some other tool.
The bookkeeping along with units variations can cause errors to creep in.

What is the importance of steel plate thickness in construction?

The thickness of steel plates is crucial in construction as it determines the strength, durability, and load-bearing capacity of a structure. The thicker the steel plate, the more weight it can support and the longer it can withstand stress and pressure without deforming or collapsing.

How is the thickness of steel plates measured?

Steel plate thickness is typically measured in millimeters (mm) or inches (in). It can be measured using a micrometer or a thickness gauge. The thickness is usually specified by the manufacturer and can also be checked using ultrasonic testing or x-ray techniques.

What factors influence the choice of steel plate thickness?

The choice of steel plate thickness depends on several factors such as the type of structure, the expected load and stress, environmental conditions, and the material properties of the steel. Other considerations include cost, availability, and ease of fabrication.

What are the standard thicknesses of steel plates?

The standard thicknesses of steel plates vary depending on the application and industry. In general, they range from 3 mm to 150 mm (1/8 in to 6 in). However, for specific industries like shipbuilding, thicker plates up to 200 mm (8 in) may be used.

What are some common issues related to steel plate thickness?

Some common issues related to steel plate thickness include buckling, warping, and corrosion. Buckling occurs when the plate is not thick enough to support the applied load, causing it to bend or deform. Warping refers to the curvature of the plate due to uneven heating or cooling during fabrication. Corrosion can also be a problem if the plate is not thick enough to withstand the corrosive environment it is exposed to.