Does Copper Nitrate React with Water?

In summary, Copper(I) Nitrate plus water { Cu(NO)3)2 (aq) + H20 } yeild Cu(NO3)2 3H20. However, I would advise using Copper(I) nitrate as it is more accurate.
ktpr2
Does Copper(I) Nitrate plus water { Cu(NO)3)2 (aq) + H20 } yeild Cu(NO3)2 3H20? (unbalanced)

From what I've been told, it could equal Cu(H2O)6^+2(aq) but I don't see the NO3 anywhere.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ktpr2 said:
Does Copper(I) Nitrate plus water { Cu(NO)3)2 (aq) + H20 } yeild Cu(NO3)2 3H20? (unbalanced)

Do you see anything devious in the underlined part...?

ktpr2 said:
From what I've been told, it could equal Cu(H2O)6^+2(aq) but I don't see the NO3 anywhere.

What is that...??

Daniel.

Devious? Uh, Copper(I) has a postive charge, the anion NO3 has a negative charge; so it really must be Copper(II), to balance the molecule. Okay. Now you add water, h2o so all these elements have to show up on the product side. Since Cu(NO3)2 is balanced I have to ask myself if 3H2O is balanced. H is +, so 6+ goes with O which is 2-, 6-. So it looks pretty balanced.

I'll read ahead here. Water is is an extremely weak electrolyte. And ions dissolve in water well so it looks possible. What am I missing here?

ktpr2 said:
Devious? Uh, Copper(I) has a postive charge, the anion NO3 has a negative charge; so it really must be Copper(II), to balance the molecule. Okay.

How would the chemical bonds be realized in
[tex] Cu_{2}(NO_{3})_{2} [/tex]

compared to the regular
[tex] CuNO_{3} [/tex]

??

Daniel.

Metal+nonmetal = ion; must be charge neutral

[tex] Cu_{2}(NO_{3})_{2}; (NO_{3})_{2} [/tex] has charge of -1, so that's -2 overall, and since we have two atoms of Cu, it must be normal copper with a charge of -1.

I'm not sure "how the bond would be realized"; by charge forces :)?

BETWEEN WHOM??[itex] CuNO_{3} [/itex] is ELECTRICALLY NEUTRAL... :wink:

Daniel.

I guess it would have be a molecular bond of some kind. I profess ignorance as I'm just reading ahead for class.

I strongly doubt it.I would advise you to use the Cu(I) nitrate,viz.[itex] CuNO_{3} [/itex] :smile:

Daniel.

okay wait I don't have a choice of what kind of copper nitrate I can use. [tex]Cu(NO_3)_2_(aq_) + H_2O[/tex] is all i get. I just wanted to know what kind of product it would make. Thanks for your elucidation though

Well [itex] Cu(NO_{3})_{2} \ _{aq.} [/itex] would mean Cu (II),right...?And why would the problem speak about Cu(I)??Is there some redox that i cannot/don't see? :confused:

Daniel.

The complex you get is the copper (II) hexaquo complex.

[tex] Cu(NO_3)_2 + 6H_2O \longrightarrow Cu(H_2O)_6^{2+} + 2NO_3^- [/tex]

Thanks,Gokul.I knew a clear mind would settle it. :wink:

So it was Copper (II) all the time... :rolleyes:

Daniel.

1. What is the chemical formula for Copper Nitrate plus water?

The chemical formula for Copper Nitrate plus water is Cu(NO3)2 + H2O.

2. What is the appearance of Copper Nitrate plus water?

Copper Nitrate plus water typically appears as a blue-green liquid or solid depending on its concentration and temperature.

3. What happens when Copper Nitrate is dissolved in water?

When Copper Nitrate is dissolved in water, it dissociates into Cu2+ ions and NO3- ions. These ions are surrounded by water molecules, forming a solution.

4. What is the purpose of using Copper Nitrate plus water in experiments?

Copper Nitrate plus water is commonly used in experiments as a source of copper ions, which are essential for many chemical reactions. It is also used as a catalyst and in the production of inks, dyes, and pigments.

5. Is Copper Nitrate plus water toxic?

Copper Nitrate plus water can be toxic if ingested or inhaled in large quantities. It is important to handle it with caution and follow safety guidelines when using it in experiments.