Seeking advice on Aerospace Engineering/CS

• Thread starter unsure
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary, to enter the Aerospace industry with a focus on simulation and/or software engineering, a well-rounded CS/Software Engineering degree would be sufficient according to job postings. An AE degree may also boost marketability, but it may not be as software intensive. An AE minor could be helpful as knowledge of the particular field is often more important than software knowledge. For simulation of aerodynamics or control systems, an MS in AE would be beneficial. For software engineering in controls, an AE or EE degree with a focus on controls is recommended, while for more general software such as flight management, human interfaces, and bus architecture, software engineering is a good option. For software engineering in avionics, EE is the preferred degree, with software engineering
unsure
I want to enter the Aerospace industry specializing in simulation and/or software engineering.

Some questions:

1. What degree(s) should I get?
-From all the job postings I've seen, a well rounded CS/Software Engineer will be fine.
-Would an AE degree boost my marketability? Or is only AE not software intensive enough.

2. Would an AE minor be of any use?

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing I would consider for anyone wanting a software job in a particular field is that while knowledge of both is important, knowledge of that particular field is often more important than software knowledge.

I have worked in for 8 years in the aerospace industry, mainly doing software design for avionics (as an EE). When I have worked with AEs, here is what they have done. If we were adding an external structure to an aircraft they examined/minimized how it would effect the aerodynamics of the aircraft and made sure that the structure would not break due to forces experienced during flight.For more general advise:
If you want to work simulation of aerodynamics or control systems then AE is you best bet and you probably want at least an MS.

For software engineering it depends on what you want to work:
For controls, an AE or EE degree could work if you focus on controls.
For more general software like flight management, human interfaces, and bus architecture software engineering is a decent bet.
If you want to work software for avionics like radars, radios, electronic warfare, mission specific computer then EE is probably your best bet with software engineering being acceptable as well.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science?

Aerospace Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves a combination of design, mathematics, and physics principles. On the other hand, Computer Science is a field of study that focuses on the theory and application of computers and computational systems. It involves topics such as programming, algorithms, and data structures. While Aerospace Engineering deals with physical objects like planes and rockets, Computer Science deals with abstract concepts and software development.

2. Can I pursue a career in both Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science?

Yes, it is possible to have a career that combines both Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science. This is often referred to as Aerospace Software Engineering. In this field, professionals use their knowledge of both disciplines to design software for aerospace systems, such as flight control systems and navigation systems. This career path is becoming increasingly important as technology plays a bigger role in the aerospace industry.

3. What skills are important for a career in Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science?

For a career in Aerospace Engineering, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and physics, are crucial. Knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software is also important. In Computer Science, proficiency in programming languages, critical thinking skills, and the ability to work with data are essential. Additionally, having a strong foundation in mathematics and understanding of algorithms is beneficial for both fields.

4. What are some common job roles in Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science?

In Aerospace Engineering, common job roles include aerospace engineer, aeronautical engineer, flight test engineer, and systems engineer. In Computer Science, common job roles include software developer, web developer, data analyst, and systems analyst. As mentioned earlier, there are also roles that combine both disciplines, such as aerospace software engineer.

5. How can I gain practical experience in Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science?

To gain practical experience in Aerospace Engineering, internships or co-op programs with aerospace companies are highly recommended. Additionally, participating in engineering projects or joining aerospace-related clubs can also provide hands-on experience. In Computer Science, internships with software companies or coding boot camps can help develop practical skills. It is also beneficial to work on personal projects or participate in hackathons to gain experience in software development.