The GIMPS project has found a new Mersenne prime number: M42.

In summary, the GIMPS project has discovered a new Mersenne prime number, M42, which is the 8th one found by the project. This number, M42, is represented by 2^{25964951} - 1 and has been verified by a third party on a different computer architecture. The details of this discovery can be found at www.mersenne.org.
T.Rex
The GIMPS project is aimed to search (and find !) new Mersenne prime numbers.
It has just discovered a new huge prime number, named M42, which has been verified with a different software on a different computer architecture (a third verification is on the way).
It is the 8th Mersenne prime number found by the GIMPS.
(Mersenne prime numbers are the biggest proved prime numbers.)

This number is: [tex]M42 = 2^{25964951} - 1[/tex]

All details are available at: A new prime .

Regards,

Tony

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome I heard a new one was probably discovered but good to see it's true.

I had their software on my computer before I cleaned it. Good to see a new one found.

M42 isn't prime. this number is the 42nd mersenne prime found, but its NOT M42. its M25964951, that's a notation error.

nowhere in the original press release or at www.mersenne.org does it call the 42nd discovered mersenne prime M42, it might not even be the 42nd mersenne prime in order of size. its just the 42nd confirmed mersenne prime discovered.

Last edited:
You are perfectly right !

The notation Mq means that q is a prime number. Here q=25964951 .
M25964951 is the 42nd prime Mersenne number ever found and we are not yet sure there is not another Mersenne prime before.

I used M42 because we used it in the GIMPS forum as a short way to name it and I forgot to change my vocabulary when talking in this forum.

Thanks for noticeing and fixing my mistake !

Tony

1. What is the GIMPS project and how does it find new Mersenne prime numbers?

The Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) is a distributed computing project that uses volunteers' computers to search for Mersenne prime numbers. These numbers are of the form 2n - 1, where n is a prime number. GIMPS uses a specialized software called Prime95 to perform these calculations.

2. What is a Mersenne prime number and why are they important?

A Mersenne prime number is a prime number of the form 2n - 1. They are named after the French mathematician Marin Mersenne, who studied them in the 17th century. Mersenne primes are important because they have applications in number theory, cryptography, and computer science.

3. How many Mersenne prime numbers have been discovered so far?

As of 2021, 51 Mersenne prime numbers have been discovered. The GIMPS project has found the majority of these primes, with the latest discovery being M82,589,933 - 1, also known as M42.

4. What is the significance of the latest discovery, M42?

M42 is the largest known Mersenne prime number to date. It has over 24.8 million digits, making it a significant achievement in the field of mathematics and computing.

5. Can anyone participate in the GIMPS project?

Yes, anyone with a computer and internet access can participate in the GIMPS project. The Prime95 software is free to download and use, and volunteers can join the project and contribute their computer's processing power to search for new Mersenne prime numbers.