I seriously in this functions question Chop chop

• Thread starter lilsheltie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation is about a math problem involving hybrid functions and understanding the domains. The person is struggling with understanding the signs and symbols used in the problem and how they relate to the overall function. They are also seeking resources for further help.
lilsheltie
hey guys, I'm new here but whatever, who cares.
ANYWAYS, I have this math question on hybrid functions.
I desperately need help for this cause I'll be having an important test next week.
HELP!

OK anyways, in hybrid function,
example:

this question asked me to form the function by giving me a hybrid functions graph.
So i managed to find f(x) but I had a problem understanding the domains.

2x-1 , x<0
f(x)= 3x²-2x , 0x≤2
4 , x>2​
ok my question is.. for the domain, how do you know if you put ≤ instead of < ? HOw come it is not x0 and 0<x≤2 instead?

PS: well if you don't really know how to explain, or don't really understand what I am trying to ask, then, it'll be helpful if you could provide me a link to a website I can go to for help on hybrid functions.

Thanks! (=

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
At x=0, the expression 2x-1 has value -1.
At x=0, the expression 3x^2 - 2x has value 0.

For the composite function, you need to decide which value you want at x=0. It seems from above that you have chosen the function to have the value 0 at x=0.

See?

By the way, on a graph, where there is a discontinuity it is usual to put a closed or open dot to indicate the value at the discontinuity. So, for the function above, the 2x-1 line would have an open dot at the point (0,-1), while the 3x^2 - 2x curve would have a closed dot or circle at the point (0,0).

Last edited:
James R said:

For the composite function, you need to decide which value you want at x=0. It seems from above that you have chosen the function to have the value 0 at x=0.

See?

By the way, on a graph, where there is a discontinuity it is usual to put a closed or open dot to indicate the value at the discontinuity. So, for the function above, the 2x-1 line would have an open dot at the point (0,-1), while the 3x^2 - 2x curve would have a closed dot or circle at the point (0,0).

ok if u say that, this question comes from my textbook

Sketch the graph of the function

-2x-2 ,x<0
f(x)= x-2 , 0≤x<2
3x-6 , x≥2

how come at x=0, both expressions -2x-2 and x-2 has the same value at -2?

lilsheltie said:
ok if u say that, this question comes from my textbook

Sketch the graph of the function

-2x-2 ,x<0
f(x)= x-2 , 0≤x<2
3x-6 , x≥2

how come at x=0, both expressions -2x-2 and x-2 has the same value at -2?

Since in that case the function is continuous at x=0, you could just as easily write:

-2x-2 ,x0
f(x)= x-2 , 0≤x<2
3x-6 , x≥2

or even

-2x-2 ,x0
f(x)= x-2 , 0<x<2
3x-6 , x≥2

It would make no difference in this case.

You can ask the same question for the point x=2...:wink:It means that the function is continuous in the 2 points...I don't know if you know what that means,but it's useful to know that it's not essential for this problem...So basically,u have to draw 3 lines and that's it.Can u do that...?

Daniel.

James R said:

See?

erm, how did u know that

dextercioby: I seriously have zilch idea on what you're trying to say?

Perfect,at least can u draw tha graph...?

Daniel.

I can but it's not the drawing of the graph that I am having a problem with, it's the... detestable signs. ARGHH!

What do you mean signs...?It's just + and -...There's nothing complicated about it.Basically u'll have to plot the function on each interval.

Daniel.

lilsheltie:

Let me give you a simple example.

Suppose we have

[itex]f(x) = 3,\qquad x \geq 1[/itex]
[itex]f(x) = 7, \qquad x < 1[/itex]

What is the value of f(x) at x=1? Well, which interval contains x=1? Obviously, the interval [itex]x < 1[/itex] doesn't include x=1, so that part of the function definition doesn't apply. On the other hand, the other part of the function does include x=1. Therefore, for this function f(1) = 3, and f(1) definitely doesn't equal 7.

Now compare the function in your original question, at the point x=0. Which interval contains x=0?

James R said:
Since in that case the function is continuous at x=0, you could just as easily write:

-2x-2 ,x0
f(x)= x-2 , 0≤x<2
3x-6 , x≥2

or even

-2x-2 ,x0
f(x)= x-2 , 0<x<2
3x-6 , x≥2

It would make no difference in this case.

ok. I didn't know that.

James R said:
lilsheltie:

Let me give you a simple example.

Suppose we have

[itex]f(x) = 3,\qquad x \geq 1[/itex]
[itex]f(x) = 7, \qquad x < 1[/itex]

What is the value of f(x) at x=1? Well, which interval contains x=1? Obviously, the interval [itex]x < 1[/itex] doesn't include x=1, so that part of the function definition doesn't apply. On the other hand, the other part of the function does include x=1. Therefore, for this function f(1) = 3, and f(1) definitely doesn't equal 7.

Now compare the function in your original question, at the point x=0. Which interval contains x=0?

Huh? Ok I've given you quite a few examples so I am pretty much confused.
Anyways, I kinda get the picture now! (=

1. What does "I seriously in this functions question Chop chop" mean?

"I seriously in this functions question Chop chop" is not a grammatically correct sentence. It is possible that the speaker meant to say "I am serious about this functions question, let's get to it quickly".

2. What is a functions question in science?

A functions question in science refers to a question that requires the use of scientific principles and concepts to solve. It often involves analyzing data, making predictions, or creating a model to explain a phenomenon.

3. How do I approach a functions question in science?

The best approach to solving a functions question in science is to first read the question carefully and identify the key concepts and variables involved. Then, use your knowledge of scientific principles and equations to formulate a solution. It is also helpful to double check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the question.

4. Can you give an example of a functions question in science?

Sure, here is an example: "A scientist conducts an experiment to test the effect of light intensity on plant growth. The data shows that as the light intensity increases, the plant growth also increases. What is the relationship between light intensity and plant growth?" This question requires the use of scientific principles such as photosynthesis and light absorption to explain the observed relationship.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving functions questions in science?

The best way to improve your skills in solving functions questions in science is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different scientific concepts and equations. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor who can provide feedback and help you understand any difficult concepts. Additionally, reviewing past exams or questions can also be beneficial in identifying common patterns and strategies for solving functions questions in science.