Why does density affect the acceleration of falling objects?

In summary, Henry discovered that the denser an object is the faster it falls, due to the reduced air resistance.
HenryKhais
Hello,

I was conducting some experiments with toilet paper.
I tore off 2 sheets of square paper, each measuring 0.5g.

I began dropping them from equal levels at approximately the same exact time.
They each landed equally (obviously), however, as I began to crumble one of the sheets into a ball, I observed that it reached the surface much faster than the other sheet that remained flat.
I also observed that the denser I made the ball (the smaller I shaped it), the faster it dropped.

Why is this?
Does this have to do with less Force going against the denser object because it's smaller (aerodynamically)?

I have read people say that density does not affect acceleration, yet the experiment showed that the more compact you made it, the faster it accelerated.

My Current Theory:
Equal masses, regardless of the matter (be it toilet paper, notebook paper, or an eraser), have equal Maximum Velocities (under equal gravity).
The density, however, affect how fast the sample of matter will reach it's maximum velocity, before falling at an equal rate.

Please keep in mind, I am very new to Physics, apologies if I sound dumb!

Thank You!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to this is also the answer to why a feather and a hammer don't reach the ground at the same time when dropped at the same time. Air resistance. The feather, and your flat piece of paper both have large amounts of air resistance relative to their mass. The hammer and crumpled up paper have much less air resistance relative to their mass, so they accelerate faster and reach the ground faster.

If you drop these in a vacuum they do in fact hit the ground at the same time.

See here:

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't the density of the object that matters. The drag force is a function of the geometric shape and size of the object, and of the velocity of the object through the air. The drag force does not depend on the density of the falling object.

Fascinating video!
It seems to me that Resistance plays a very large role in the every day world, causing lots of variation. However, in a vacuum tube or on the moon, where there is no resistance, does the gravitational force determine how fast objects will fall?

HenryKhais said:
Fascinating video!
It seems to me that Resistance plays a very large role in the every day world, causing lots of variation. However, in a vacuum tube or on the moon, where there is no resistance, does the gravitational force determine how fast objects will fall?

If you were an insect, you would notice that even more. The relative effects of electric and gravitational forces are very much subject to scale. They say that a mouse, thrown off the Empire State Building would survive the landing but not a cat that would have the same density.

sophiecentaur said:
If you were an insect, you would notice that even more. The relative effects of electric and gravitational forces are very much subject to scale. They say that a mouse, thrown off the Empire State Building would survive the landing but not a cat that would have the same density.
The scaling factor (lower mass / cross-section ratio) lowering terminal velocity, when falling in air. It also reduces the internal stresses occurring during the high acceleration on impact.

Last edited:
Hello Henry,

First let me congratulate you on a clear precise experiment and report.

You investigated the effect of varying some parameter (density), whilst controlling another parameter (total weight of falling object) and subjecting them to the same acceleration regime.

It is unfortunate that the conclusion was wrong because there was another uncontrolled effect at work - that of air resistance as already noted. This is of course due to the difference in shape of the objects.

So keep at the good work but learn to be aware that unforseen effects may occur and unforseen agents may act.

1. How does the density of an object affect its acceleration?

The density of an object has a direct impact on its acceleration. Objects with higher density will accelerate at a slower rate compared to objects with lower density. This is because objects with higher density have more mass, and according to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the greater the mass, the more force is needed to accelerate the object.

2. Does the shape of an object affect its acceleration?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect its acceleration. Objects with a larger surface area will experience more air resistance, which can slow down its acceleration. On the other hand, objects with a smaller surface area will experience less air resistance and can accelerate faster.

3. What is the relationship between density and acceleration?

The relationship between density and acceleration is inverse. This means that as density increases, acceleration decreases, and vice versa. This is because density is directly related to an object's mass, and mass is a determining factor in an object's acceleration.

4. How does gravity play a role in the acceleration of objects with different densities?

Gravity plays a significant role in the acceleration of objects with different densities. All objects, regardless of their density, will have the same acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 meters per second squared. However, objects with higher densities will require more force to overcome gravity and accelerate, while objects with lower densities will require less force.

5. Can density and acceleration be used to predict the motion of an object?

Yes, density and acceleration can be used to predict the motion of an object. By knowing the density of an object and the force applied to it, we can calculate its acceleration using the formula F=ma (force = mass x acceleration). With this information, we can then predict how an object will move or accelerate in a given situation.