Download the free PF App for iPhone/Android phones

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new PF App is based off the TapaTalk app, is very similar, and supports tex and list subscribed threads. There is a problem with not supporting LaTeX and I can't seem to find a way to list my subscribed threads. However, the subscribed threads are in Favorites. The app looks clean and supports Dark mode. There is a bug with white space around quotes, and the logo is not shown when starting the app. The app has been updated to version 2.4.4.1 and has 85 installs in under a week.
FilupSmith said:
I can't wait! Also, because I primarily use my phone, is there a way or forum I can use to learn LaTeX?

If you use your mobile browser and go to PF then you'll use our mobile skin where latex does render.

Physics news on Phys.org
I downloaded the mobile app (android) and it worked fine for a couple weeks, but the last week it spends 10 minutes "looking for server", and doesn't seem to find it. So now I just access PF through Chrome.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Just released 3.8.21 for Android which included a crash fix.

Unfortunately I am still unable to go past through the loading screen.

Sorry for the "noob" question but is there a possibility to downgrade to a version say 6 months old? I cannot use this application with my tablet although I used to be able to.
The app. works great on my cell phone and it's a pity that it doesn't on my tablet.

fluidistic said:
Sorry for the "noob" question but is there a possibility to downgrade to a version say 6 months old? I cannot use this application with my tablet although I used to be able to.
The app. works great on my cell phone and it's a pity that it doesn't on my tablet.

New version out later today. Hope that helps!

btw, if your tablet running Android 4.0 or newer?

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
New version out later today. Hope that helps!

btw, if your tablet running Android 4.0 or newer?

Hopefully yeah :)
4.1.2, the latest available officially where I am (Argentina) for this tablet.

I've just upgraded to the latest version of the pf application and there is no improvement regarding the problem. :(

Are you able to load apps from file? I can email you the app that is for older devices and that may work.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you able to load apps from file? I can email you the app that is for older devices and that may work.

Hmm no idea really, I never tried.
I'd give it a try though :)

Is the app open-source? If so, I'd be happy to maintain it in the F-Droid app repository (an alternative to Google Play that only contains open-source apps).

Will new versions of the apps be needed for PF 4.0?

jtbell said:
Will new versions of the apps be needed for PF 4.0?

No but the connections will be one of the last things I do tomorrow. I would expect the apps to be broken most of the morning.

The new Android app is now available. I'm uploading the update to the iOS version. Which means it should be released in the next 5 days.

Apple is taking a long time reviewing the app. I think they got hammered by the release of iOS8. Please remain patient.

Hi Greg

On the latest PF app for Android, the Introductions forum doesn't show -- instead the PF4.0 forum/feedback forum shows.

StevieTNZ said:
Hi Greg

On the latest PF app for Android, the Introductions forum doesn't show -- instead the PF4.0 forum/feedback forum shows.
I think the forums are cached on install. I'll have a small update ready tomorrow.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think the forums are cached on install. I'll have a small update ready tomorrow.
Did you manage to get the small update ready?

EDIT: never mind, installed latest version!

Yay for LaTeX compatibility! :D

LaTeX doesn't render on my Android tablet, despite using the latest PF app.

No way to download it in China mainland. It can be found on AppStore but download process issue slow that it took ten minutes just to do nothing. Perhaps there are something wrong with the connection. Also, why the screenshots on AppStore look so old-fashioned? Is it really in that iOS6 style?

Xiaomin Chu said:
Is it really in that iOS6 style?
No, the screenshots need to be updated

Has an update been released for Android to account for the changes in forum structure?

StevieTNZ said:
Has an update been released for Android to account for the changes in forum structure?
No, hoping to release a big update in March

Latex rendering problem (Maybe with # or $ latex specifiers).

Using YU Yureka (CyanogenMod OS 11).

Attachments

• 1425305041202.jpg
    1425305041202.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 614
AGNuke said:
Latex rendering problem (Maybe with # or $ latex specifiers).

Using YU Yureka (CyanogenMod OS 11).
Yes that has a been a missing feature since first release. Hoping it will be added in the future.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yes that has a been a missing feature since first release. Hoping it will be added in the future.
I only said that cause someone yay'd for LaTeX compatibility. I was on a long hiatus from PF and was pretty excited to try the app on my new smartphone.

Anyways, looking forward to the new update :wink:

AGNuke said:
I was on a long hiatus from PF and was pretty excited to try the app on my new smartphone.
It's nice for a quick browse. I find the app slightly quicker than a mobile browser.

Welcome back :)

Profile Pictures do not render correctly sometimes.

Case 1 - Somebody else has my Gohan.
Case 2 - DP not rendered (Maybe due to slow internet)

Attachments

• 1425364209131.jpg
    1425364209131.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 608
  • 1425364222903.jpg
    1425364222903.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 564
Hi! I am new to this forum. I just joined an hour ago. Also, I downloaded the Android App. Thank you Physics Forum for all the support.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I started to use PF App some time ago and I see that LaTeX support is still missing.
What needs to be done to bring LaTeX support on PF App?

Thank you.

Likes artyb
soarce said:
What needs to be done to bring LaTeX support on PF App?
A completely custom app which is far too expense to develop. Right now we use a branded version on TapaTalk which does not support LaTeX.

soarce said:
And LaTeX formulas are displayed. Can't be implemented here on PF?
The difference is that the latex on that site is rendered as an image while we render as html/css.

Both Android and Apple app versions have been updated. Still no LaTeX so don't ask :D