Changing Beliefs Through Logic: Examining Controversial Issues

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of changing one's beliefs as an adult due to logical arguments. The topic includes examples such as beliefs in God, afterlife, ghosts, and controversial issues like environmentalism and war. Some individuals state that their beliefs have been influenced by logic, while others argue that logic is not the sole basis for belief. The conversation also touches on the idea of a closed system and the possibility of supernatural elements.

How firm are your most profound beliefs?

• I have changed my mind many times

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I occasionally change my mind.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I rarely change my mind

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • I never change my mind

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by Bernardo
My original comment simply pointed out that I think that for something to be called a belief, it can't contradict logic. To believe something beyond the realms of what is logical (like Elvis is alive) is to be deluded not believing.
I just looked up the word belief and I don't see where it it only applies to things based in logic. Delusion, in fact, is roughly defined as a false belief. A belief can be logical or not, and still be a belief.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your right. It is possibe to believe anything.

I'm not just talking about an individual belief - but an entire world view - to offer any benefit or peace to life it must be logical. (Though I still hold that even our individual beliefs need to stand before logic or they must be reconsidered.)

There's a quote from Discipleship of the Mind, pg 50, by James W. Sire that gets at what I'm trying to say,

"Our world view, then, should be both consistent and coherent. That is, not only should it not contain any contradictions, but it should be composed of presuppositions which fit well togehter, presuppositions which, because they are as correct as we can get them, give us a coherent picture of the way things really are."

In otherwords to be an Athiest and believe in reincarnation defies logic. Our beliefs must line up with each other or they become insufficient.

I agree that the more our beliefs line up with reality, the more benefit we'll derive from them. I was just trying to point out that the parameters you offered within which the word belief should fall, were not in line with the current definition of that word:
"...I think that for something to be called a belief, it can't contradict logic."

Your point may have been clearer had you said something like: "I think that our beliefs should not contradict logic."

You're right, I see the point you are making.

But if that's all there's to it - is there anything further to discuss? Beliefs don't need logic.

World views and their grasp on logic interest me quite a bit - thus my little tangent these last few posts.

Where does this go now?

Does logic need belief?