Offset voltage with bipolar transistor

In summary, the offset voltage for a bipolar transistor is not typically specified on datasheets because it varies with bias current, temperature, and the doping of each batch of transistors. This value is not crucial for circuit design as it is easy to design around its small variations. Textbook values are arbitrary and experimental measurement is the most accurate way to determine the offset voltage.
mishima
I have a few questions about offset voltage for a bipolar transistor...

A. Why is this value not specified on datasheets? My EE book says it is usually between 0.6 and 0.7 for silicon, and provides its exact value in textbook problems. Besides experimental measurement, how could I know this from a datasheet?

B. Does this value change depending on operating region? Does this offset voltage even exist during cutoff?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The value varies with bias current and temperature and probably with the doping of each particular batch of transistors. The reason it isn't specified is that 1. the chances that your circuit will use precisely the same current and temperature as the test circuit are nil and 2. it's not really important anyway. It is easy to design around a small variation in that voltage. I'm sure the values used in textbooks are arbitrary values.

I measured a few small signal transistors and found that the voltage varied from about 0.55 V at 55 C to about 0.73 at -30 C with 0.65 C being fairly normal for room temperature.

1. What is offset voltage in a bipolar transistor?

Offset voltage in a bipolar transistor refers to the difference between the actual output voltage and the ideal output voltage. It is caused by mismatches in the transistor's internal components and can result in inaccurate readings or amplification.

2. How does offset voltage affect circuit performance?

Offset voltage can cause errors in measurements or amplification, leading to inaccurate results in a circuit. It can also affect the stability and linearity of the circuit, potentially causing distortion or instability.

3. What causes offset voltage in a bipolar transistor?

Offset voltage is caused by mismatches in the transistor's internal components, such as variations in the base-emitter voltage or collector current. It can also be affected by temperature changes or aging of the transistor.

4. How can offset voltage be minimized?

Offset voltage can be minimized by using transistors with better matching characteristics, such as those from the same batch or with similar specifications. It can also be reduced by using external compensation techniques, such as adding a feedback resistor.

5. Is there a specific value for offset voltage that is considered acceptable?

There is no specific value for offset voltage that is universally considered acceptable, as it depends on the specific application and circuit requirements. However, in general, a lower offset voltage is desirable to minimize errors and improve circuit performance.