3d phase space-surface

• Thread starter marellasunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Phase
In summary, it is possible to create a surface as the solution for a system of differential equations in a 3d phase space, but it may not be easy.
marellasunny
Is it possible for a surface to be obtained as the solution for a system of differential equations in a 3d phase space?
Almost all 3d phase plots I have observed are curves,example the Lorenz system.

Is there a general formula that says that a system of n differential equations would produce a n-dimensional curve in a n-dimensional phase space?

Problem at hand:
I have been provided the individual 2d solution plots for a 3 variable,2 parameter system.Now,with these 2d solution plots,I want to make the 3d phase plot.In the process,I also want to create a system of 3 differential equations.Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
marellasunny said:
Is it possible for a surface to be obtained as the solution for a system of differential equations in a 3d phase space?

The solution of a 3D (ordinary) differential equation is a function from the reals to [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], in other words a curve (or a fixed point). If there is a conserved quantity, then the solution curve must lie on a surface on which that quantity is constant, but it's still a curve.

It may be possible for the solution curve to be dense on some surface.

My problem is a math modelling problem.It is a system of 3 variables and I have been provided 2 solution curve graphs for 1 variable with another.(X vs Y, Y vs Z). I am to now arrive at a 3 eq autonomous system differential equation w.r.t time i.e dX/dt,dY/dt,dZ/dt.
To top all of this complexity,one of my solution graphs is a set of implicit functions(inverse parabola).
So,I would like finally want to arrive at a 3system autonomous d.e and plot the solution curve and hope that it is dense enough to form a surface(another constraint).
I am struggling to go from the solution curves to the autonomous case.Suggestions/helpful keywords in context would help greatly.

1. What is 3d phase space-surface?

3d phase space-surface is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the behavior and movement of a system over time in three dimensions. It represents all possible states of a system and how they change over time.

2. How is 3d phase space-surface used in science?

In science, 3d phase space-surface is used to analyze and understand complex systems, such as particles in motion or chemical reactions. It allows scientists to predict the future behavior of a system based on its initial conditions and parameters.

3. What is the difference between 3d phase space-surface and regular 3d space?

3d phase space-surface is a mathematical representation of a system's states and their evolution over time, whereas regular 3d space is a physical representation of objects and their positions in three dimensions. 3d phase space-surface also includes information about the velocity and momentum of a system's components.

4. Can 3d phase space-surface be visualized?

Yes, 3d phase space-surface can be visualized using graphs or diagrams, which plot the different states of a system over time. These visualizations help scientists understand the behavior of a system and make predictions about its future states.

5. What are some real-life applications of 3d phase space-surface?

3d phase space-surface is used in a variety of fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study and model complex systems, such as weather patterns, fluid dynamics, and population dynamics. It is also used in fields such as robotics and control systems to design and optimize the behavior of machines and devices.