Discover the Power of Focusing and Directing Magnetic Fields | BBC Video

• Thread starter GuyChris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alloy
In summary, an alloy is a mixture of two or more metallic elements or a combination of a metal and a non-metal. Alloys are made by melting and mixing different materials through methods such as casting, powder metallurgy, or chemical reactions. They have various uses in industries such as construction, kitchenware, and medical devices. Alloys differ from pure metals in that they consist of multiple elements, giving them unique properties. The properties of an alloy are influenced by factors like the type and amount of elements, manufacturing process, and modifications.
GuyChris
Okay I was trolling youtube (I know its a horrible habit I have that keeps me from sleeping at night) and I came across this BBC video. Its only 47 seconds but it BRIEFLY describes a material that can Focus and concentrate electromagnetic fields and I can't find anythng else on the web, any imput guys and gals on this substance? I am not even sure where to post this to be honest.

Youtube "Concentrating and Directing Magnetic Fields" I didnt want to post the link.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anything with a high magnetic permeability works, like Mu-metal.

1. What is an alloy?

An alloy is a mixture of two or more metallic elements, or a combination of a metal and a non-metal. Alloys are created by melting and mixing different materials together to form a new material with improved properties, such as increased strength or resistance to corrosion.

2. How are alloys made?

Alloys are made by melting and mixing different materials together. This can be done through various methods such as casting, powder metallurgy, or chemical reactions. The exact process used depends on the specific alloy being created and its intended use.

3. What are some common uses of alloys?

Alloys have a wide range of uses in various industries. Some common examples include stainless steel in construction and kitchenware, bronze in musical instruments, and brass in plumbing and electrical applications. Alloys are also used in transportation, electronics, and medical devices.

4. How are alloys different from pure metals?

Alloys are different from pure metals in that they are a mixture of two or more elements, whereas pure metals consist of only one element. This means that alloys have different properties than their individual components, making them more versatile and useful for various applications.

5. What factors affect the properties of an alloy?

The properties of an alloy are affected by various factors, such as the type and amount of elements in the mixture, the manufacturing process, and any heat treatments or other modifications. These factors can alter the strength, hardness, ductility, and other characteristics of the alloy.