Liquid Armor: Non-Newtonian Protection from Stabbing & Blunt Force

In summary, this armor is based on two components - non-Newtonian fluid and bigger part is filled with silica dioxide nanoparticles. The armor is flexible, lightweight, and can stop even heavy stabs with sharp pricker. However, the armor is still being researched and there are some problems with it. For example, the armor is based on clay which doesn't have the hydroclustering effect that silica particles have and larger size particles may be more effective.
sauroman1
Hello, recently saw video demonstrating newly developed armor based on non Newtonian liquid. Such armor is being still researched but is very promising, flexible, lightweight and can stop even heavy stabs with sharp pricker, maybe even bullets.
Liquid armor itself is based on two components - non Newtonian fluid polyethylene glycol (probably PEG 200 or 600) and bigger part is filling of silica dioxide nanoparticles. Then mix is putted on to layers of material such as kevlar and impregnated into it. Don't know if this liquid won't drip down, but maybe suspension will be enough to stiff if not too thick and can be sealed.
Biggest problem is that these SiO2 nano particles are expensive. So i wanted to know if there are alternative materials that could be used, maybe even harder and different shape. For example I was thinking if ordinary clay could be used instead - it contains hard minerals such as SiO2 and particle size is 0.002mm, they have plate shape.
I need liquid armor for game or just gloves, but if enough effective could be used against stabbing weapons. I'm not worried about bullets too much - in my country there are more chances to die from knives attack not gun. But I guess liquid armor could give variety of protection.

Here video demonstrating this armor:

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I love it! Still, I'd approach with caution simply because that video was made by the manufacturer. Independent testing is necessary for me to buy the concept entirely.
If you want to experiment a bit yourself, you can make your own sheer-thickening fluid very easily. Just mix cornstarch and water. It won't have any ceramic properties, but you can get a really good handle on how the material works.

That's pretty cool. I'd like to do my own experiments on this sometime. If you can't get a hold of silicon nanoparticles, maybe you can just get some diatomaceous earth, make it finer, and then make some oobleck and throw it in. Diatomaceous Earth has a particle size of around 10-200 micrometers and is 80-90% silicon, so it's better than clay, but a few orders of magnitude worse than the silicon nanoparticles. Still, I'd try it and see what happens.

Thanks, but I'll stick to varve clay which I can't get for free. Diatomite contains more silica but unfortunately in my place I can't get it. Moreover clay appears to have even harder minerals such aluminum oxide that is 9 hard in Moths scale, but 20% (maybe aluminum powder could be oxidized and added). Army vest plates are made from 9 level hardness material.

Clay doesn't work. Mixed with water it has Newtonian fluid properties, even gets more liquid when pressure applied. But sand acts as non Newtonian fluid. So it's have to do something with silica dioxide properties. PEG is used instead of water because it's more stable liquid.

Well you can't just use straight water as the fluid. You'd have to try mixing the clay with something like oobleck (cornstarch + water) to get what you're after.

Silica particles are best to use in this case because they have hydroclustering effect which causes hardening on impact but clay doesn't. But I'm not sure if larger size particles would as much effective. For example 0.003mm?
I think any liquid could be used, just PEG is more stable while water may freeze. Probably even antifreeze could be used.

1. What is liquid armor and how does it work?

Liquid armor is a type of body armor made from non-Newtonian fluids, which are substances that act as both a liquid and a solid depending on the force applied to them. The armor works by absorbing and redistributing the force of impact, providing protection from stabbing and blunt force attacks.

2. Is liquid armor more effective than traditional body armor?

Studies have shown that liquid armor is more effective at protecting against both stabbing and blunt force attacks compared to traditional body armor. This is because of its ability to distribute the force of impact over a larger area, reducing the risk of injury.

3. Can liquid armor be worn comfortably?

Yes, liquid armor can be worn comfortably. It is designed to be lightweight and flexible, allowing for ease of movement and reducing fatigue for the wearer. Additionally, the non-Newtonian fluid used in liquid armor can conform to the shape of the body, making it more comfortable to wear.

4. How durable is liquid armor?

Liquid armor is highly durable and can withstand multiple impacts without losing its protective properties. However, like any type of armor, it should be regularly inspected and replaced if any damage is found.

5. Can liquid armor be used for other applications?

While liquid armor was originally developed for use in body armor, it has potential for other applications as well. It could potentially be used in sports equipment, such as helmets and padding, to provide better protection from impacts. It could also have military applications, such as in vehicle armor or bomb blast protection.