Max Force & Acceleration on 0.466 kg Mass w/ 144 N/m Spring

• Thread starter the_d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary, a 0.466 kg mass attached to a spring with a spring constant of 144 N/m is released from rest on a horizontal frictionless surface when the spring is compressed 0.174 m. To find the maximum force on the mass, the equation F = -kx can be used. Using the equation W = F*d = mad = -kx^2d/2, the maximum force is calculated to be 25.056 N. To find the maximum acceleration, the equation F = ma can be used, knowing the force and mass.
the_d
a 0.466 kg mass is attached to a spring with a spring constant 144 N/m so that the mass is allowed to move on a horizontal frictionless surface. The mass is released from rest when the spring is compressed 0.174 m. what is the maximum force on the mass and the maximum acceleration?

i used the eq. Force of the Spring = -(k)(x) to get the force on the mass

Physics news on Phys.org
I think all you need is [tex] F = ma = -kx [/tex]

You might also use [tex] W = F*d = mad = -kx^2d/2 [/tex]

thats what i did to get the force, and i got 25.056 N, i am confused of to how i would get the max acceleration

You know the force, you know the mass. Find A

oh yeah, thanx

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the maximum force on a mass with a given spring constant?

The maximum force can be calculated by multiplying the spring constant (k) by the displacement (x) of the mass from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation Fmax = kx. In this case, the maximum force would be 144 N/m x 0.466 kg = 67.104 N.

3. What is the acceleration of the mass when the spring is at its maximum force?

The acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass. Substituting in the values from the given information, the acceleration would be 67.104 N / 0.466 kg = 144.06 m/s^2.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the maximum force and acceleration?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the maximum force or acceleration, as long as the spring constant remains constant. However, a heavier mass may require a stronger spring (higher spring constant) to reach the same maximum force and acceleration as a lighter mass with a weaker spring.

5. What is the significance of the spring constant in this scenario?

The spring constant (k) represents the stiffness of the spring and its ability to resist deformation. A higher spring constant means the spring will require more force to stretch or compress, resulting in a higher maximum force and acceleration on the mass attached to it. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior of the system and predicting its motion.