Centrifugal Force, Centripetal Force, and Space

In summary, the newspaper statement about the space shuttle orbiting the Earth is incorrect as it suggests a balance between centripetal and centrifugal forces. The shuttle actually stays in orbit due to a balance between the centripetal force of its circular motion and the gravitational force. The centrifugal force is a fictional force used to explain the feeling of being pushed outwards in circular motion. In reality, gravity acts as the centripetal force keeping the shuttle in orbit.
evaengineer
I've got a weekly physics assignment, and I've been racking my brain on it. Any input on the accuracy of my response, what I could do to improve it, and where I may have gone wrong?

Homework Statement

Some years ago, a newspaper story contained the following statement" "The space shuttle orbits the Earth at an altitude of 200 miles and is traveling at a speed of 18,000 mph. The shuttle remains in orbit because the gravitational force pulling it towards the Earth is balanced by the centrifugal force (the force of inertia) that is pushing it away from the Earth."

A friend who knows you have taken Physics 107 asks you to explain this statement to them. In particular, this friend is mystified by the reference to a "centrifugal force".

Homework Equations

None that I can think of.

I will however include my basics of understanding:
Centrifugal force is fictitious and the opposite or centripetal force.
Centrifugal force pushes outward in a circle.
I understand the "Rotor Carnival Ride" example in physics (I note this because I am curious if it has to do with the question at hand).

The Attempt at a Solution

To start, I believe the newspaper's statement is to a degree incorrect. This is because the suggested action/reaction pair of centripetal/centrifugal force does not work, as Third Law Forces never act on the same object (Essentially, one object cannot be acted upon by the action AND reaction in the same instant).

To describe why the shuttle stays in orbit is simple enough. All that is necessary is for the shuttle to have a centripetal force (F=mv2/r) that counter-balances the gravitational force (F = mg). When that happens, the shuttle will continue along its path outside the Earth's atmosphere in a circular motion; Not breaking past gravity fully, but not being pulled by it enough to counteract its rotational force.

The centrifugal force does not counter-balance the centripetal force. Gravitational force does. This is because after the shuttle is in orbit, it would have a tendency to stay in motion, unless something else acted upon it. The shuttle doesn't need to constantly use different thrusters to move around the planet. The gravitational force pulls on the shuttle while the shuttle itself continues its forward motion, thus creating the rotation around the earth.

So, to de-mystify the friend about the "centrifugal force reference," I would have to tell him that a centrifugal force is a fictional, or "pseudo" force. It was named as such in order help describe why one feels that they are being pushed outwards when in a circular motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity doesn't counter counterbalance the centripetal force, gravity IS the centripetal force.
An object moving in a circle will be accelerated all the time, so the force on it is not zero.
To move a mass m in a circle of radius r with speed v, you need a centripetal force of mv^2/r to produce the needed acceleration, and gravity is that force.

The centrifugal force is not an inertial reference frame, as you said fictitious.

1. What is the difference between centrifugal force and centripetal force?

Centrifugal force is the outward force experienced by an object in circular motion, while centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is a fictitious force, as it appears to act on an object but is actually a result of the object's inertia.

2. How does centrifugal force affect objects in space?

In space, objects experience centrifugal force due to their orbital motion around a larger body, such as a planet or star. This force can cause objects to appear to "float" or experience weightlessness. However, objects in space are also affected by other forces, such as gravity and momentum, which can counteract the effects of centrifugal force.

3. Can centrifugal force be greater than centripetal force?

No, because centrifugal force is a fictitious force and is only a result of an object's inertia, it cannot be greater than centripetal force. Centripetal force is a real force that is required to keep an object in circular motion, and it is always equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to centrifugal force.

4. How are centrifugal force and centripetal force used in space exploration?

Centrifugal force and centripetal force are important concepts in understanding the motion of objects in space. They are used in designing spacecraft trajectories, calculating the effects of gravity on spacecraft, and determining the stability of orbits. These forces are also utilized in technologies such as centrifuges, which simulate the effects of gravity for astronauts in space.

5. What other factors can affect the strength of centrifugal force and centripetal force?

The strength of centrifugal force and centripetal force can be influenced by the mass and speed of an object, as well as the radius of its circular path. Greater mass or higher speed can result in stronger centrifugal force, while a larger radius can decrease the strength of both forces. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and other external forces can also impact the magnitude of these forces.