Neon Lamp Polarity Measurement

In summary, neon lamps are used to measure electrical polarity due to their ability to create light through glow discharge. This is achieved by ionizing the atoms and producing free electrons, creating a plasma state. When driven by DC current, only the negatively charged electrode will glow, and when driven by AC current, both electrodes will glow alternately.
DaTario
Hi All,

I would like to know why the neon lamp is used to measure electrical polarity. What is the working mechanism involved.

Best wishes,

DaTario

Science news on Phys.org
Could it be a question more appropriatedly posted in the quantum mechanics section?

Neon lamps create light by glow discharge, and when DC current passes through, only the negatively charged electrode of a test lamp glows.

If your question is more what makes it glow, this is due to the ionization of the atoms, producing free electrons and creating a plasma state.

More from Wiki's:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_lamp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)

Is this what you were aiming for?

Thank you TumblingDice, for your response.

My problem with your answer is that I have the ideia that, in simple electric circuits, when the current starts, I used to think that the current will be established in all positions basically at the same time, and not only near the negative pole of the battery. Thus, it seems reasonable to me that, in a discharge lamp, when the negatively charged electrode starts sending its electrons, the glow would appear also in all positions of the electron's path to the positively charged electrode.

Best Regards,

DaTario

DaTario said:
My problem with your answer is that I have the ideia that, in simple electric circuits, when the current starts, I used to think that the current will be established in all positions basically at the same time, and not only near the negative pole of the battery. Thus, it seems reasonable to me that, in a discharge lamp, when the negatively charged electrode starts sending its electrons, the glow would appear also in all positions of the electron's path to the positively charged electrode.

Neon lamps glow at the negatively charged electrode. They do not glow along a "path" like neon signs. From the first wiki link:
When driven from a DC source, only the negatively charged electrode (cathode) will glow. When driven from an AC source, both electrodes will glow (each during alternate half cycles).

Likes 1 person

1. What is neon and why is it important in polarity measurement?

Neon is a chemical element with the symbol Ne and atomic number 10. It is a noble gas commonly used in polarity measurement because it has a high electronegativity and is non-reactive, making it a good indicator of polarity in a sample.

2. How is neon used in polarity measurement?

Neon is often used in polarity measurement as a reference gas. By measuring the voltage required to ionize neon in a sample, the polarity of the sample can be determined. Neon can also be used as a tracer gas in chromatography to measure the polarity of a stationary phase.

3. What is the difference between polar and non-polar molecules?

Polar molecules have an uneven distribution of charge due to differences in electronegativity between atoms, resulting in a positive end and a negative end. Non-polar molecules have an even distribution of charge and do not have a positive or negative end.

4. Can other noble gases be used in polarity measurement?

Yes, other noble gases such as helium, argon, and krypton can also be used in polarity measurement. However, neon is the most commonly used because it has the highest electronegativity and is the most easily ionized, making it a more sensitive indicator of polarity.

5. What are some applications of polarity measurement?

Polarity measurement has many applications in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It is used to determine the polarity of solvents, identify unknown substances, and understand intermolecular interactions. It is also used in quality control and analytical testing of products such as pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.