How can I utilize my physics degree to break into new career fields?

In summary, someone with a physics degree can find work as a teacher, but it may not be a reliable or lucrative option. There may be opportunities to find work in another country, or to teach subjects other than English.
Burnanation
Hello all,

I graduated in 2005 with a B.S. in Physics. I spent the better part of 2 years looking for a job that would use my degree. I ended up teaching. I've been teaching since Jan of 08. I've taught, physics, chemistry, math (from Algebra to AP Calc), and currently a business oriented computer application course at the local college.

I enjoy teaching, but with a wife and 3 kids teaching just isn't paying the bills. I headed back to school to pursue a computer science engineering degree, but recently my wife had some complications after the last pregnancy and hasn't been able to head back to work, so that new degree might have to be shelved for now.

I'm looking for advice. I've spent countless hours looking for jobs, but I never seem to find anything that I'm qualified for. I've felt like I'm spinning my wheels when it comes to job hunting. Where should I look? I feel like the "If you have a physics degree, your options are limitless," is something I've heard over and over, and I have no idea how to make that work for me. How have other people broken into other fields? How often do companies that ask for very specific qualifications compromise and go with someone that they can train/teach?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
From my friends' experience the best way to get a well paying job is through personal contacts. Otherwise even if you get your CS degree and are a top student, you may still end up teaching or doing something equally unprofitable. Only a limited number of graduates in any speciality end up making good money.

An alternative advice would be to move to another country. There are places where teaching can give you enough money to support a family of five as a single income earner. For example China sometimes hires native English speaking (i.e. American, British) teachers in a variety of subjects for their elite schools. The pay in relation to the living expenses is fantastic, while the competition is not that high yet.

Corpuscule said:
An alternative advice would be to move to another country. There are places where teaching can give you enough money to support a family of five as a single income earner. For example China sometimes hires native English speaking (i.e. American, British) teachers in a variety of subjects for their elite schools. The pay in relation to the living expenses is fantastic, while the competition is not that high yet.

Your advice above is really not practical for the OP given that he has a wife and 3 children, and I suspect most teaching assignments in foreign countries (including China) will only pay enough to provide living expenses for a single individual. Furthermore, most non-English-speaking countries (again, including China) are highly unlikely to hire foreigners to teach in any subject other than English.

StatGuy2000 said:
Your advice above is really not practical for the OP given that he has a wife and 3 children, and I suspect most teaching assignments in foreign countries (including China) will only pay enough to provide living expenses for a single individual. Furthermore, most non-English-speaking countries (again, including China) are highly unlikely to hire foreigners to teach in any subject other than English.
A few months ago and then once again a couple of weeks ago I saw a job opening where native English teachers were required to teach technical subjects (including physics) in an elite Chinese school. The pay would be sufficient to comfortably support a family of 5. I can't find this advertisement anymore, but it seems that such options appear from time to time.

Last edited:

I can understand your frustration with not being able to find a job that utilizes your degree. It sounds like you have a strong background in teaching and a wide range of skills in math and science, which are highly valuable in many industries. My advice would be to think outside the box when it comes to job hunting. Consider industries that may not immediately come to mind when you think of physics, such as finance, data analysis, or even healthcare. These fields often require strong analytical skills and problem-solving abilities, which you have gained through your physics degree. Additionally, networking and reaching out to your connections can often lead to job opportunities that may not be advertised. Don't be afraid to reach out to alumni from your university or colleagues from your teaching job for advice and potential job leads. Companies also do often compromise on specific qualifications if they see potential and enthusiasm in a candidate. Focus on highlighting your transferable skills and experiences in your job applications and interviews. Best of luck in your job search!

1. What are the signs that it's time for a career change?

There are several signs that it may be time for a career change, such as feeling unfulfilled or unsatisfied in your current job, experiencing burnout or high levels of stress, or having a lack of growth opportunities. It's also important to consider your personal values and interests and whether they align with your current career path.

2. How do I determine what career is right for me?

Figuring out the right career for you can be a daunting task. Start by identifying your skills, interests, and values. Consider taking career aptitude tests or seeking guidance from a career counselor to help you explore different career options. Networking and informational interviews with professionals in fields that interest you can also provide valuable insight.

3. How can I make a successful career change?

Making a successful career change requires careful planning and preparation. Start by researching the industry and job market for your desired career. Update your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile to highlight relevant skills and experiences. Consider gaining new skills through courses, certifications, or volunteer work. Networking and connecting with professionals in your desired field can also help open up opportunities.

4. What are some common challenges when changing careers?

Some common challenges when changing careers include a potential decrease in salary, needing to gain new skills or experience, and facing competition from other candidates. It may also be challenging to adjust to a new work environment and build relationships with new colleagues. It's important to have a solid plan and be prepared to face these challenges with determination and resilience.

5. How do I explain my career change to potential employers?

When explaining your career change to potential employers, it's important to focus on the skills and experiences that make you a strong candidate for the position. Emphasize the transferable skills you have gained from your previous career and how they can be applied to the new role. Be honest and genuine about your reasons for wanting to change careers, and highlight your enthusiasm and passion for the new field.