Torque required to drive shaft

In summary, a motor with the right torque will be able to rotate the cylinder at 100RPM if the shaft and cylinder have the same diameter and the object is rotated at an angular acceleration of 6.28 rad/s.
deadstar33
Hi,

I'm trying to choose the right motor for a test rig I've built. I have a shaft attached to a cylinder that weighs 6kg, and I need to know how much torque would the motor I'm getting need to be able to produce in order to rotate the cylinder at 100RPM.

My attempt:
Torque = Force x r
where r = radius of the cylinder = 0.08m

Force = mass x acceleration
where mass = 6kg

accel = velocity/time
velocity = r x ω (rotational speed)
where ω at 100RPM = 6.28 rad/sec
So v = 0.08 x 6.28 = 0.5 m/s
Therefore accel = 0.5/t

Therefore T = 6 x 0.5/t x 0.08
= 0.24/t Nm

Is it as simple as this or is there more to it? And how do I know what t should be to work out the acceleration if all I know is what velocity I want it to rotate at? Would every motor have the acceleration spec listed with it or something?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is more to it than that:

1) Is the shaft the same diameter as the cylinder?

2) ω = 100RPM = (100 *2∏rad/revolution)/(60s/min.) = 10 rad/s approx.

3) There must be some friction or external force acting on the cylinder (other than your shaft) else once you start rotating it will continue to spin in perpetuity.

1. The diameter of the shaft is 0.017m (17mm) and the diameter of the cylinder is 0.16m.

2. Sorry you're right, it's 6.28 rad/s at 60RPM and ~10rad/s at 100RPM.

3. Do you mean like air resistance? Or friction due to having imperfect bearings on the shaft? I don't have much experience with motors so I'm just trying to understand as much as I can about the problem and how to select the right motor.

Thanks.

I mean anything that provides resistance that requires a torque to keep the 100rpm going.

Or maybe you meant your question was how much torque is required to accelerate the cylinder from 0 to 100rpm?

Yeah that's what I meant. I'm guessing the torque will then depend upon how fast I'm accelerating it from 0 to 100RPM? i.e. if I want to be able to accelerate it from 0 to 100 in 1 second it would require more torque than the same increase over 10 seconds. If that's the case, it presumably depends upon the motor in question...

Yes, it will depend on how fast you want to accelerate it but also depend on the mass moments of inertia of the cylinder and shaft.

I see. Is there an equation that relates the mass moment of inertia to the torque in some way then? I calculated the mass moment of inertia of the cylinder and shaft together to be 0.033kgm^2.

Yes, there most certainly is:

∑T = ICM[itex]\alpha[/itex]

where

∑T = summation of all the torques acting on the object about the axis
ICM = the mass moment of inertia of the object about the axis passing through the center of mass
[itex]\alpha[/itex] = the angular acceleration of the object about the axis

Likes 1 person
Thanks

1. What is torque and how is it related to driving a shaft?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied on an object. In the context of driving a shaft, torque is the force required to rotate the shaft. It is directly related to the amount of power needed to move the shaft at a certain speed.

2. How is the torque required to drive a shaft calculated?

The torque required to drive a shaft can be calculated using the formula: torque = force x distance. The force is the amount of force applied to the shaft and the distance is the length of the shaft. This calculation takes into account the moment of inertia and the frictional forces acting on the shaft.

3. What factors affect the torque required to drive a shaft?

The torque required to drive a shaft is influenced by several factors, including the weight of the load being moved, the speed at which the shaft needs to rotate, and the efficiency of the motor or power source driving the shaft. The type and condition of the bearings supporting the shaft also play a role in determining the required torque.

4. How does the torque required to drive a shaft change with different shaft materials?

The material of the shaft does not directly affect the torque required to drive it. However, different materials have different strengths and stiffness, which can impact the overall performance and durability of the shaft. A stronger, stiffer shaft may be able to handle higher torque without deforming or breaking.

5. How can the torque required to drive a shaft be reduced?

There are several ways to decrease the torque required to drive a shaft. One way is to reduce the weight of the load being moved, which would decrease the overall force needed. Another way is to improve the efficiency of the motor or power source driving the shaft. Additionally, using high-quality bearings and properly maintaining the shaft can help reduce friction and decrease the torque required.