Modelling an Micro Thermal Enrergy Harvestor in COMSOL

In summary, a post-graduate student of Thermal Engineering is working on a project to model a Micro thermal energy harvester. The project involves a bimetal strip attached to a hot surface and a peizoelectric material which converts thermal energy to mechanical and then electrical energy. The student is unsure which type of study to use for the analysis and is seeking tips and additional information.
jatin1990
Good Evening , i am post graduate student of Thermal Engineering.I have some experience to COMSOL software(but not expert atleast). So now i am doing a project on Modelling a Micro thermal energy harvestor. The problem goes something like this , there is strip made up of bimetal ( material of high coefficient of thermal expansion{CTE} on one side and low CTE on other side attached to each other side by side). Bimetal acts as a Simply supported Beam instead of cantilever (attaching snapshot of structure). High CTE material side of the bimetal get in contact with a hot surface and got bend on other side(due to expansion) and strike on the surface of peizoelectric material that is placed next to it on the distance of few millimeters. And then by the natural convection the bimetal got cooled down and come back to its original position(i.e. in contact of the hot surface) and then cycle repeat. So conversion of energy goes like this : Thermal(of hot plate) to Mechanical (of bimetal) and then from Mechanical to Electrical(via piezoelectric material surface).

So now my question is which type of study or studies should i use in this analysis : Piezoelectric Devices + Heat Transfer in Solids or Something else which i am forgetting.
And also any tips for the my study will be much helpful as i am fighting with this problem for last three months.

Thank you so much for your time to understand my problem and then to reply.

Attachments

• Paper snapshot.png
    Paper snapshot.png
    9 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is COMSOL and how is it used for modelling?

COMSOL is a multiphysics modelling software that allows scientists and engineers to simulate and analyze complex physical systems. It uses finite element analysis to solve partial differential equations and can handle various types of physics such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electromagnetics.

2. What is a micro thermal energy harvester?

A micro thermal energy harvester is a device that converts small amounts of thermal energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of a thermoelectric material, such as a semiconductor, that can generate electricity when a temperature difference is applied across it.

3. What are the key components of a micro thermal energy harvester?

The key components of a micro thermal energy harvester include a heat source, a heat sink, and a thermoelectric material. The heat source provides the temperature difference needed for energy conversion, the heat sink dissipates excess heat, and the thermoelectric material converts the thermal energy into electrical energy.

4. How is COMSOL used to model a micro thermal energy harvester?

COMSOL can be used to simulate the heat transfer and energy conversion processes in a micro thermal energy harvester. The software allows for the creation of a 3D model of the device, which can then be used to analyze factors such as temperature distribution, heat transfer, and electrical output.

5. What are some challenges in modelling a micro thermal energy harvester in COMSOL?

One of the main challenges in modelling a micro thermal energy harvester in COMSOL is accurately representing the complex geometry and material properties of the device. Additionally, the software requires a significant amount of computational power and time to run simulations, so efficient meshing and solving techniques must be employed.