What textbooks cover topics in Applied Analysis?

In summary, the class "Applied analysis" will cover topics such as Beta and Gamma functions, Fourier series and other orthogonal functions, Sturm-Liouville's problem, approximation in quadratic mean, separation of variables for partial differential equations, and Fourier and Laplace transforms. The book "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Arfken and Weber covers most of these topics, but it is unclear if it includes approximation in quadratic mean.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi, I'm going to take this class called "Applied analysis" text semester and I want to be sure that I have more than one reference book, so I need to know what are the books on this subject so I can borrow them at the library before anyone else.

This class will talk about:

Beta and Gamma functions. Fourier series and other orthogonal functions. Sturm-Liouville's problem. Approximation in quadratic mean. Separation of variables for partial diff. equ. Fourier and Laplace transforms.

thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
arfken, weber: mathematical methods for physicists covers most of that. I'm not sure about approx. in quad. mean, is that the same as rms of a function? but the rest is in there.

There are several textbooks that cover topics in Applied Analysis, including:

1. "Applied Analysis" by John K. Hunter and Bruno Nachtergaele
2. "Applied Analysis with Differential Equations" by John W. Dettman
3. "Applied Analysis" by Cornelius Lanczos
4. "Introduction to Applied Analysis" by John J. Benedetto and Wojciech Czaja
5. "Applied Analysis" by John K. Hunter and Bruno Nachtergaele
6. "Applied Analysis" by John J. F. Fournier
7. "Applied Analysis" by Cornelius Lanczos
8. "Applied Analysis" by J. David Logan
9. "Applied Analysis" by John K. Hunter and Bruno Nachtergaele
10. "Applied Analysis" by John K. Hunter and Bruno Nachtergaele

It is always a good idea to check with your professor to see which textbook they will be using for the course. You can also ask your university's library for recommendations or search for reviews online to see which textbook best fits your learning style and covers the topics you listed. Good luck in your class!

1. What is applied analysis?

Applied analysis is a branch of mathematics that focuses on using analytical methods to study and solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.

2. What topics are typically covered in an applied analysis textbook?

Applied analysis textbooks typically cover topics such as differential equations, optimization, numerical analysis, complex analysis, and Fourier analysis.

3. How are concepts in applied analysis applied in real-world scenarios?

Concepts in applied analysis are applied in real-world scenarios by using mathematical models to represent and analyze complex systems, and using analytical methods to solve problems and make predictions.

4. What are the benefits of studying applied analysis?

Studying applied analysis can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as provide a strong foundation for careers in fields such as data science, engineering, and finance.

5. What are some recommended applied analysis textbooks for beginners?

Some recommended applied analysis textbooks for beginners include "Applied Analysis" by John K. Hunter and Bruno Nachtergaele, "Introduction to Applied Mathematics" by Gilbert Strang, and "Applied Mathematics for Engineers and Physicists" by Louis A. Pipes and Lawrence R. Harvill.