Build a Solar Powered Car: Ideas Needed!

• Thread starter Olivia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Solar
In summary, the conversation is about building a solar powered car with the goal of either traveling 10 meters in the least time or climbing a steep ramp. The speaker is unsure of which goal to focus on and what materials to use. They are provided with solar cells and a motor, but are free to use any materials. Suggestions are given to use thin balsa wood and string the solar panels in a line to reduce mass and increase speed. The speaker is also advised to research the best gear ratio for optimal performance.
Olivia
I have to build a solar powered car that will either a) travel a distance of 10 meters in the least time . or b) climb a meter on the stepest ramp possible. I am not sure which one would be easier to accomplish or what materials to use. I am also wondering how exactly i am going to build this thing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd go with the ten meters in fastest time bit. Have you been provided materials by your instructor, and do you have specific guidlines you have to abide by?

well we are provided with 8 2.5cm x 7.5cm solar cells and a motor, but we are free to use any materials we like and the car does not have any size limitations, there are so many options so i just don't quite know what would work best!

I'll ask around about standard gear ratios, but your best option on the car would be to string the solar panels in a line taking up the least area possible on a board of the thinnest balsa wood you can find. Reducing the total mass will increase your speed.

Are you provided gears with which to operate the wheels? Do a little research on what type of gear ratio would be best (make the wheels go fastest, etc.).

No, we aren't provided with any gears, but i will do some reasearch to see what would work best, thankyou for your help!

1. How does a solar powered car work?

A solar powered car uses solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity. This electricity is then stored in a battery and used to power an electric motor, which propels the car forward.

2. How efficient are solar powered cars compared to traditional cars?

Currently, solar powered cars are not as efficient as traditional cars. This is because the surface area of the car is limited for solar panels, and they can only generate a certain amount of electricity. However, advancements in technology are continually improving the efficiency of solar powered cars.

3. How far can a solar powered car travel on a single charge?

The distance a solar powered car can travel on a single charge depends on several factors, such as the amount of sunlight available, the size of the solar panels, and the efficiency of the car's battery and motor. On average, a solar powered car can travel between 30-50 miles on a single charge.

4. Is it possible to build a solar powered car at home?

Yes, it is possible to build a solar powered car at home with the right materials and knowledge. However, it may be more practical and cost-effective to purchase a pre-made solar powered car from a reputable company.

5. Can solar powered cars be used in all weather conditions?

Solar powered cars can be used in most weather conditions, as long as there is enough sunlight to generate electricity. However, extreme weather conditions such as heavy rain or snow may affect the performance of the car's solar panels and decrease its efficiency.