Calculating the Electric Potential Difference of a Helium Balloon

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the difference in electric potential between two positions using the formula V = Ed. The relevance of the charge on the balloon is discussed and it is mentioned that the field is uniform. The conversation also mentions a more accurate way to write the formula and notes that the direction of the balloon's movement may be opposite to the direction of the electric field.
Jchem
I'm learning about charge right now and I have no idea how to start this one.. any help is appreciated.

A helium balloon has a charge of q = 5.5 x 10^-8. It rises vertically into the air. d = 600m. from the surface of the Earth to final position A. The electric field that normally exists in the atmosphere near the surface of the Earth has a magnitude E = 150 N/C and is directed downward. What is the difference in electric potential between the two positions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of electric potential? How does it relate to the field? (Hint: The charge on the balloon is irrelevant.)

Jchem said:
The electric field that normally exists in the atmosphere near the surface of the Earth has a magnitude E = 150 N/C and is directed downward.

Is this true for d = 0m and d = 600m ?

if so i think I could solve it using:

V= Ed

Jchem said:
Is this true for d = 0m and d = 600m ?
Yes, assume the field is uniform.

if so i think I could solve it using:

V= Ed
Right!

A more accurate way to write this is:
[tex]\Delta V = - E \Delta d[/tex]

Last edited:
I note that, even though the electric field is pointing downwards, the positively charged balloon moves upwards, unless and until it decelerates and comes to rest but that a different case.

Last edited:

1. How is the electric potential difference of a helium balloon calculated?

The electric potential difference of a helium balloon is calculated by multiplying the charge of the balloon by the distance between the balloon and the reference point. This can be represented by the formula V = Q/d, where V is the electric potential difference, Q is the charge of the balloon, and d is the distance between the balloon and the reference point.

2. What factors affect the electric potential difference of a helium balloon?

The main factors that affect the electric potential difference of a helium balloon are the charge of the balloon and the distance between the balloon and the reference point. Other factors that may have a smaller impact include the atmospheric conditions and the material of the balloon.

3. Can the electric potential difference of a helium balloon be negative?

Yes, the electric potential difference of a helium balloon can be negative. This occurs when the charge of the balloon is negative, resulting in a negative value for V. A negative electric potential difference means that the balloon is at a lower electric potential than the reference point.

4. How does the electric potential difference of a helium balloon affect its behavior?

The electric potential difference of a helium balloon determines how it behaves in relation to other objects in its surroundings. A higher electric potential difference will cause the balloon to repel positively charged objects and attract negatively charged objects. A lower electric potential difference will have the opposite effect.

5. Why is it important to calculate the electric potential difference of a helium balloon?

Calculating the electric potential difference of a helium balloon is important for understanding its behavior and interactions with other objects. It can also be useful in determining the safety of handling the balloon, as a high electric potential difference can lead to electric shocks. Additionally, knowing the electric potential difference can help in predicting the movement and stability of the balloon.