Referencess on Dynamical Symmetry Breaking

In summary, the conversation is about Dynamical Symmetry Breaking and the Namby Jona-lasinio model of mass for particles. The recommended references for this topic are Y. Nambu and G Jona-Lasinio's paper on symmetry breaking, P W Anderson's work on the Goldstone boson, and P W Higgs' paper on the Higgs mechanism. The self-energy term and its relation to the mass operator in the Nambu Jona-lasinio model is also discussed, with recommendations for further reading on the topic.
Neitrino
I would much appreciate if anyone could give me some tips/referencess on Dynamical Symmetry Breaking. Namely detailed referrence on Namby Jona-lasinio model of mass for particles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neitrino said:
I would much appreciate if anyone could give me some tips/referencess on Dynamical Symmetry Breaking. Namely detailed referrence on Namby Jona-lasinio model of mass for particles.

If you mean "Namby" as in Yoichiro Nambu, then the symmetry breaking paper that you want is

Y. Nambu and G Jona-Lasinio, Phys. Rev. v.122, p.345 (1961).

However, you need to also look at Anderson's work on the Goldstone boson that showed that such a thing can have a mass

P W Anderson, Phys. Rev. v.130, p.439 (1963).

Both of these are crucial in the Higgs paper:

P W Higgs, Phys. Lett. v.12, p.132 (1964).

Zz.

Thank you for referrences much appreciate ur help.
Unfortunateli I am not quite familiar with math of QFT
could anybody help me...in following..

In Paper Y. Nambu and G Jona-Lasinio, Phys. Rev. v.122, p.345 (1961). in section III Authors are getting formula (3.4) to define self-energy part of particle. How does that formula come out? That self-energy part it's a actuaaly mass operator?

Thks a lot

Neitrino said:
Thank you for referrences much appreciate ur help.
Unfortunateli I am not quite familiar with math of QFT
could anybody help me...in following..

In Paper Y. Nambu and G Jona-Lasinio, Phys. Rev. v.122, p.345 (1961). in section III Authors are getting formula (3.4) to define self-energy part of particle. How does that formula come out? That self-energy part it's a actuaaly mass operator?

Thks a lot

I can't comment about this particular part since I didn't study the paper that closely. However, the self-energy term usually comes out of the single-particle Green's function, often called the propagator in QFT. It's form depends totally on the kind of interactions you are considering, i.e. how many higher order coupling.

The only references I would recommend on this is Mattuck's "Feynman Diagram in Many-Body Problem" and Mahan's "Many-Particle Physics".

Zz.

What is dynamical symmetry breaking?

Dynamical symmetry breaking is a phenomenon that occurs in physical systems where a symmetry present in the underlying equations is spontaneously broken at the observed level. This results in the system exhibiting different behavior than what would be expected based on the symmetry of the equations.

How does dynamical symmetry breaking occur?

Dynamical symmetry breaking can occur through a variety of mechanisms, such as the Higgs mechanism in particle physics or the chiral symmetry breaking in quantum chromodynamics. In general, it is caused by the interactions between different components of a system, which lead to the spontaneous breaking of symmetries.

What are some examples of dynamical symmetry breaking?

One of the most well-known examples of dynamical symmetry breaking is the Higgs mechanism in particle physics, which explains how particles acquire mass through interactions with the Higgs field. Another example is the breaking of chiral symmetry in quantum chromodynamics, which explains the properties of quarks and gluons.

What are the implications of dynamical symmetry breaking?

Dynamical symmetry breaking has important implications in many areas of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and can help explain the behavior of complex systems.

Can dynamical symmetry breaking be observed?

Yes, dynamical symmetry breaking has been observed in many experiments, such as the discovery of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider. It can also be observed in condensed matter systems, such as the breaking of rotational symmetry in liquid crystals. However, it can be challenging to directly observe and study dynamical symmetry breaking due to its inherently nonlinear and complex nature.