Elementary Particles: How Many Discovered?

In summary, there have been 6 different quarks, 6 different leptons, and 12 different gauge bosons discovered in regards to the standard model of particle physics. This number increases when considering charge, antiparticles, and parity, with a total of about 96 "particles". For more detailed information, please refer to the provided links.
Caesar_Rahil
How many elementary particles have been discovered.

Physics news on Phys.org
please see http://pdg.lbl.gov/pdg.html

There are 6 different quarks, 6 different leptons, and 12 different gauge bosons. Then you have all the antiparticles for these different particles. This is in regards to the standard model of particle physics. Please see the link above for much more detail.
Cheers,
Ryan

Norman said:
please see http://pdg.lbl.gov/pdg.html

There are 6 different quarks, 6 different leptons, and 12 different gauge bosons. Then you have all the antiparticles for these different particles. This is in regards to the standard model of particle physics. Please see the link above for much more detail.
Cheers,
Ryan

I love this question, because if you go into details... how should you count the particles? It seems that for fermions it is a question of mass, if the mass is the same you consider it to be the same particle, even if the charge is not. But for bosons we count W+ and W- as two particles.

If we include charge and antiparticles in the fermions, we have

6*3*2= 36 quarks and
6*2= 12 leptons

If we consider Parity, we have
36*2= 72 quarks
12*2= 24 leptons, or we had 18 if there were not right neutrinos.

thus about 96 "particles".

arivero said:
I love this question, because if you go into details... how should you count the particles? It seems that for fermions it is a question of mass, if the mass is the same you consider it to be the same particle, even if the charge is not. But for bosons we count W+ and W- as two particles.

If we include charge and antiparticles in the fermions, we have

6*3*2= 36 quarks and
6*2= 12 leptons

If we consider Parity, we have
36*2= 72 quarks
12*2= 24 leptons, or we had 18 if there were not right neutrinos.

thus about 96 "particles".

This is very true... I struggled with whether or not to mention these points. But I decided to go with just what I stated for brevity, and simplicity. I had the chart that dlgoff mentioned in mind when I posted this... But a really good question is, why don't we explain from the beginning that there are 3 different color charges of quarks? I think the answer lies in the color neutrality of hadrons. But I agree, as usual the devil is in the details! :devil:
Cheers,
Ryan

1. How many elementary particles have been discovered so far?

As of now, scientists have discovered a total of 17 elementary particles.

2. What are the properties of elementary particles?

Elementary particles have properties such as mass, spin, charge, and flavor. These properties determine their interactions and behavior.

3. Can elementary particles be divided into smaller components?

No, the term "elementary" implies that these particles are indivisible and cannot be broken down into smaller components.

4. How are elementary particles classified?

Elementary particles are classified into two categories based on their spin - fermions and bosons. Fermions have half-integer spin while bosons have integer spin.

5. What is the significance of elementary particles in physics?

Elementary particles play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. They are the building blocks of matter and their interactions govern all physical phenomena.