Max Electrical Force of Two Protons Aimed Toward Each Other

• Thread starter gmuniz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
Then use Coulomb's law to find F = qE = q*(1/(4*pi*epsilon_0))*(q/r^2)In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum electrical force exerted by two protons on each other as they are accelerated by a cyclotron accelerator. To do this, one must use the conservation of energy equation to find the distance of closest approach, and then use Coulomb's law to calculate the force.
gmuniz
not clear on concept

Q Two protons are aimed directly toward each other by a cyclotron accelerator with speeds of 1650 km/s, measured relative to the earth. find the maximum electrical force that these protons will exert on each other?
K_a + -U_a= K_b + U_b and K_a=0, U_b=0
-U_a=K_b
K_b= 1/2mv^2
U_a= (1/(4*pi*epsilon_0)((q*q_0)/r)
F=qE
is the radius of the Earth r and how do i get the force from potential energy?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gmuniz said:
K_a + -U_a= K_b + U_b and K_a=0, U_b=0
If this is meant to be conservation of energy, rewrite it like this:
[tex]{KE}_i + U_i = {KE}_f + U_f[/tex]
where K_i is the initial KE; K_f = 0; U_i = 0; U_f is the electrical potential energy when the protons have momentarily stopped.

Use this to find the distance of closest approach, where KE = 0. Once you have that distance, use Coulomb's law to find the force.

is r=((q^2/4*pi*epsilon_0)(1/K_i)

No. Solve for r by equating the intial KE (of both protons) with the final electric potential energy, which depends on r.

1. What is the maximum electrical force between two protons aimed toward each other?

The maximum electrical force between two protons aimed toward each other is approximately 8.99 x 10^9 N (newtons).

2. How is the maximum electrical force between two protons calculated?

The maximum electrical force between two protons is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the distance at which the maximum electrical force between two protons is strongest?

The maximum electrical force between two protons is strongest when the distance between them is zero, meaning they are in direct contact with each other.

4. How does the charge of the protons affect the maximum electrical force?

The charge of the protons directly affects the maximum electrical force between them. As the charges increase, the force also increases. Similarly, if the charges are opposite in sign, the force is attractive, whereas if the charges are the same, the force is repulsive.

5. Can the maximum electrical force between two protons ever be larger than the calculated value?

No, the maximum electrical force between two protons cannot be larger than the calculated value as it is based on fundamental physical properties and laws.