Calculating Initial Speed of Bullet After Collision with Spring-Mounted Block

In summary, to find the initial speed of a bullet hitting a wooden block attached to a spring, conservation of momentum and conservation of energy can be used. Using the given values and equations, the initial speed of the bullet can be calculated to be the square root of 2 divided by the sum of the masses of the bullet and the block. This method was used to solve a problem on a test.
PiRsq
Friction is negligible

A bullet traveling at speed v hits a wooden block which is attached to a spring with constant 200 N/m. After the impact if the spring compresses to a maximum of 0.1m and the mass of the bullet is 0.01kg and the mass of the block is 0.5kg find the initial speed of the bullet?

This was on my test today and I didn't get the answer, how would you go about doing this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not show us how you tried to solve it?

Hint: you'll need to use both conservation of momentum and conservation of energy.

I found the Elastic potential energy first to see the energy of the whole system by using:

1/2kx^2

Then since the kinetic energy must equal the total energy before the spring is stretch, I did:

1/2kx^2=1/2mv^2 and I solved for V

Originally posted by PiRsq
Then since the kinetic energy must equal the total energy before the spring is stretch, I did:

1/2kx^2=1/2mv^2 and I solved for V
That's the speed of the block plus bullet---after the collision. Now find the speed of the bullet before the collision. (Re-read my previous hint.)

So momentum is conserved...

mv1+mv2=mv1'+mv2'
v1'=v2'=v'
v2=0
mv1=v'(m1+m2)

So I think to get v':

1/2kx^2=1/2mv^2

The energy came out to 1 Joule.

Equation I joule with kinetic energy :

2=(m1+m2)v^2
v=sqrt(2/m1+m2)

Now that I think equals v' right?

Subbing that back into the equation we can solve for v1

Is that somewhat right?

It is exactly right. Good job!

Thanks for the help Doc :smile: I just wish I thought of that during the test

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

3. How is kinetic energy related to collision?

In a collision, kinetic energy is transferred between objects. The total kinetic energy of the system remains constant before and after the collision, but it may be distributed differently among the objects involved.

4. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy in a collision?

The amount of kinetic energy in a collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved. Objects with greater mass or velocity will have more kinetic energy.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, thermal energy, or sound energy. This conversion can occur during collisions or through other processes such as friction or braking.